Chapter 33 - Melanie

"Melanie."

My subconscious hears my name but I'm not quite awake yet. I moan in my sleep and turn over, away from the hand that's shaking me.

"Wake up, baby girl. You're getting a phone call."

"Who is it?" I grumble and crack an eye open. The sky is navy blue and it's the crack ass of dawn. I might just strangle my boyfriend right now.

"I don't know but this is the third time this number is calling."

"What?" I finally sit up and rub the sleep out of my eyes. I take my phone from Wolfe's outstretched and accept the call, yawning out a, "hello?"

"Hello, Melanie."

It's like being tasered. Shocks shoot up my spine and I sit up straight, trying to get my pounding heart under control. The shit this voice does to me is unbelievable. It triggers the deepest parts of me and wakes up feelings I thought were long gone.

"You," I manage hoarsely. I meet Wolfe's questioning eyes and swallow down the urge to throw up. "Uncle Gary."

Like a switch Wolfe's face hardens before I can even even blink. I can see him visibly shake with anger and I know he's trying to keep himself under control. I put a hand on his shoulder to calm him down and put my phone on speaker. I want him to be here when I do this.

"What the fuck do you want?" I finally spit out. I'm damn proud that my voice doesn't quiver and reveal the fear I'm feeling.

"I've been trying to reach you for several months," He sighs deeply. "I know I'm the last person you want to hear from but this is truly important."

"So talk and stop wasting my time," I tell him evenly. I feel Wolfe kiss the centre of my palm and meet his eyes, smiling at the pride in them.

"Do you think we can meet? This is the kind of thing that needs to be discussed in person."

"Oi, no fuckin' chance of that," Wolfe growls out before I can answer. His accent only ever sounds this rich when he's mad and right now he's absolutely fuming. "You're not coming near her. Not ever again."

There's a pause that stretches on for several moments. Wolfe and I wait, staring down at the phone between us.

"You, ah, must be a boyfriend," Uncle Gary clears his throat. "Rest assured young man, this is an important family matter. But you're welcome to come with her if you see it fit."

"Why? What's this about?" I demand. Family matter? I left that family ten years ago. What could he possibly want?

He sighs again and it sounds sad, I think. "Your Aunt Susan...she fell ill. Blood cancer. It was extremely deadly and spread to her entire body in a matter of months. I was calling on the off chance that you might want to see her one last time. She passed away earlier this evening and there are a few things I need to take care of in light of her death. Please, Melanie. I'll only need fifteen minutes of your time."

Holy shit. I'm grateful that I'm already sitting because my knees grow weak, giving up on me. Aunt Susan is dead? That's why Uncle Gary was calling me for months and months. He knew she didn't have a lot of time and I could have seen her. Crap.

"Shh, Melanie." Wolfe pulls me onto his lap, rocking some when my body starts trembling uncontrollably. The guilt I feel is suffocating. I know I chose to cut Aunt Susan off because she didn't believe me when I told her about being raped but she did raise me for seven years of my life. And if I remember correctly, she left Uncle Gary when Rebecca died. There's so many things I don't understand and I know I'll drive myself insane if I don't go and find out.