Paths

"We're going to die!" 

"Thirty-two," the pink hair fox-demon counted, rolling her eyes at how dramatic her mate is.

Soon enough, the demon arrived with blood all over his clothes, making the prisoners swallow hard. He moved closer to the cage made of gold and smirk.

"I have what they call cash in here," he told them. " It's from a thief. We will be using this to find a place for tonight. And tomorrow, I'm giving you potions to drink and pretend like mortals."

"You're not going to eat us?" the boy fox demon asked. 

"Kitsunes tastes like rotten potatoes," he answers. 

"Why are we going to pretend like mortals?" the female demon questioned next, her voice soft as a cotton. "We are not allowed to disrupt the balance of this--"

"I don't care about the two worlds' balance," he hissed, hitting the cage's bars. "We'll be mortals for a while. We'll find our own shelter. The man on the street said a fine shelter is called an apartment. But a more suitable one is a con-condomin-min- damn! An apartment will do!" 

 The sun had risen when Esmeralda barge in her sister's room. She stand still when she sees Lunox wide awake, blinking a couple of times.

"You're awake?" 

"Yes, good morning."

"Are you okay?" 

"I think I am."

Esmeralda wasn't convinced but shrugged anyway.

"Breakfast is ready so get down when you've fully waken up."

Lunox just nodded. No, she's not woken up! She's still thinking about why she wrapped her arms around that demon. Why she said those cringy words?! Why she felt so warm, so scared of losing that demon?! Why?

"Arghhhh!" She slaps her head a couple of times. "You suck! You're gross! You are disgusting!" 

After hitting her pillow simultaneously, she feels refreshed. With a bright smile on her face, she gets off and twirled her way to the door. About to turn the doorknob, she heard a knock. She turn around and gasped. 

Two little ones were tied up together, tape on their mouths and a cardboard. There were scattered ugly written letters there. She could barely read them.

"You lock far-ther -I'm-be- ha-hack?" she tries to read.

She's not sure what she just read but when she looked at the little ones, she noticed they are not humans at all! They look harmless though, she thought. 

"I'm letting you go but please do not--" she stopped when she thought about what the demon told her last night.

You smell of Jasmine... 

"White feathers," she remembers. What if these fox like demon are tied because they tried to kill her? Wait a minute. Lunox leaned to take off the tape on the pink hair's mouth. "Who sent you two here?"

"He said for you to read."

He... it would probably mean that it was the demon. She looks at the cardboard again, her brows knitted together.

"You lock farther, I'm be hack--what could that mean?" she thought hard.

"You look out for them, I'll be back."