Twenty-Six: Panthera

Panthera

He followed her to the handout area that night, hoping to see if the girl was there. He kept out of sight himself, choosing the stay in the shadows as he watched.

She was, despite her naivety, seemingly comfortable with the people of the town, talking and laughing with them. Helping to keep their spirits up even though they had barely anything to their name.

She, after all, did keep them from going hungry.

When at last she was done, he slipped away before she saw him, standing just inside the doorway. As the warriors left the room, he reached out, taking hold of her arm.

She jerked in shock, a cry of surprise leaving her as she spun to face him.

“What?” Dangerously angry relief was in her eyes. “Panthera! You fool!”

He lifted an eyebrow, letting go of her and leaning back against the wall. “Is that the best you can do?” he inquired.

She scowled at him “What do you want now?”

With a sigh, he took her arm, towing her back outside. His nose had long since blocked up, protecting his senses from the worst of the smell, but he could still see it, hanging in the air. “There is a girl, young. Very thin. Dark eyes, threadbare cloak.”

She stared at him, for once not fighting his grip. “What are you talking about?”

He looked at her impatiently. “You’ve seen her?”

Slowly, she nodded. “Yes. Of – of course. She’s always here. One of the first to come, first to leave. Very flighty.”

Silent, sinking deep into thought, he nodded, his hand dropping from her arm. “Good,” he muttered. “She’s been here long?”

“I don’t know. Why, Panthera?”

“No reason,” he muttered, and turned abruptly.

“Don’t you dare leave now!”

He didn’t stop, but she grabbed his hand, dragging him back with surprising strength.

“Get back here.”

He tore himself free, glaring at her. “What do you want now?”

“Why did you want to know about her?” she demanded. “She’s just another girl, unfortunately living on the streets.”

He kept silent. He had his own thoughts about it.

Especially after seeing the colour of her eyes.

“Panthera, what is it?” Her voice was lower, softer. Not as sharp or demanding.

It suited her better.

“Nothing,” he said roughly, turning away from her once again. She held his wrist tightly, preventing him from going.

“Tell me,” she insisted. “What’s so important about her? She’s a girl, Panthera!”

He glared at her, and stepped closer. “Nothing,” he snarled. “You do not deserve to know what I want.”

She stared at him, clearly confused. But he could see the hurt deep in her eyes.

Stepping closer still, he put his hand under her chin, lifting it. “Yet,” he said softly, holding his temper in check. “What do you want, priestess?”

She swallowed, but didn’t try to pull away. “I … I …” She didn’t seem to know how to finish, and a slow smile spread across his face.

“Lost, are we, sweetheart?”

She attempted to pull her head away, but he tightened his grip.

“Now, what do you want?” he whispered, drawing closer still. She was beginning to shake, tremble, but he didn’t let her go just yet.

He took his time.

“I …” She stopped and swallowed, her breath coming in short, sharp bursts. “I … I don’t know.”

He let her go, pulling out of her grip. “So I’ve noticed.” His tone was once more mocking, and scornful, almost sharp, but she barely reacted.

“What do you want from me?” she demanded, almost ruthlessly.

He turned on her, suddenly furious.

“What do I want? I want to be rid of you,” he snarled. “Rid of this town of stone, where no earth is safe. Rid of the suffocating feeling that I’m living with now, because of you.” He stalked closer, his eyes blazing with fury. “I want to live out my days in peace. I am the last elf, priestess. Yet I am stuck here, instead of in my home. What do you think is want?”

She almost cowered away from him, and he turned his back on her in disgust.

“Panthera … please …”

He paused, one hand on the door, but didn’t turn.

“I want to help you.”

He opened the door with a sigh. “There’s nothing that can help me, girl,” he said, his anger gone for once. “Nothing can save my people now.”