Fifty-Eight: Panthera

Life.

As he held his sister tightly, he knew that he truly lived. He was never going to take her for granted again, nor take life for granted. He’d come too close to dying to do that.

As her tears soaked his shirt, he held her, smoothing her long tangled hair, and rocking her, letting her cry for as long as she needed to. The kitten curled up between them, managing to lie on all four of their feet, and with a sigh fell asleep again. The bone he’d been given would last him about a week, depending.

Ailill knew the ways of the beastkin.

He’d been the one who had found Vakt, back when he was only a few months old. Taking care of him had been his chore, for none of his brothers had wanted to bother. Because of that, and the close link that the elf had with his sister, the beastkin had formed a similar bond with them both. He’d been the one to give the beastkin to his sister. As protection, and as a friend. It seemed that the baby had done his job well.

When she finally stopped, her breath still hitching in her throat, he tipped her head back, looking into her eyes.

“I’m here,” he said softly.

Tears swam in her eyes again, and she had to let him go to wipe them away. “You left me,” she whispered, the tears making her voice catch.

“Yes, honey. I did.” He hated himself for it. Hated himself for breaking his promise to her, yet again. “I’m sorry.”

She glared at him, jerking away from him. “Sorry?” Her voice rose. “You idiot! I thought you were dead!”

He sighed, and carefully dislodged the kitten from his feet. “I know, Kura. And I’m sorry for that. But I had no choice.”

She hit him hard in the ribs, her curses changing to their home language. “They’re hunting me, Ali! They’re going to kill me! And you weren’t there!”

“Kura, they thought they had killed me.”

The words stopped her, and she stared at him, tears staring to fall down her cheeks again. He reached out for her hand, taking it gently. The movements stretched his burns, sending flares of pain up his arms. He disregarded it, needing to show her something.

“Come with me?” he asked, knowing that to tell her wouldn’t be the best way to go. She was furious at him.

She glared at him, her dark eyes flickering with anger. But she followed him when he moved through the house, to the back door. He pushed it open, leaving it open for her and the kitten, and led her through the trees.

They came to a small cliff, from which they could see the River Sae. He watched his sister as she stared at it, her eyes wide.

“Ali, I don’t understand. It’s … it’s flowing again. It’s not slowing any more.”

He nodded. “Yes. The lifeblood has been returned to the land, Kura. The earth is safe now.”

She turned her eyes to him. “Because of you?” she whispered.

He nodded again. “I lost you, little sister,” he said quietly. “But the earth hasn’t lost us.”

Confusion filled her eyes, but she nodded. He knew that she didn’t understand, but he couldn’t explain it. He didn’t know how to put what he knew into words. It was just like he’d known what to do, and how he would do it without ever deciding it. He’d just known.

“Ali, I don’t want to lose you again. Please don’t leave me.”

Fear filled her eyes now, dispelling the confusion. He met her eyes, reaching out to tug her hair. “I won’t,” he promised, painfully aware of the last time he had promised her that. “I’m not leaving you.”