Thirty-Two: Panthera

Panthera

Gently, he laid her on the bed, removing her cloak and boots. She looked exhausted, tears still drying on her face. From her reaction, he could guess what she had come to tell him, but he wouldn’t know for sure until she told him. For now, he put the suspicions away, and let her sleep. She needed it, and a good meal. He threw the spoiled food away. Neither of them would need it now.

Musing, he wandered out to the balcony, leaning on the railing. Below him was the river, flowing steadily as it had for eons, and would for eons to come. The fact that she was here at all spelled trouble for their race. He stayed where he was in silence, deep in thought, until he heard her stirring hours later. The sun was just peeping over the horizon, bringing with it the promise of a clear day. Already, though the breeze was picking up, hinting that it was here to stay.

“Ali?”

He turned and entered the room again, the curtain rippling as he brushed past it. “Still here. Better now?”

She nodded, her eyes still too big in her face. She’d lost a lot of weight since he’d last seen her, and she’d changed. There was a knock at the door, and he left her to answer it. As normal, a temple warrior was there, with the morning meal in his hands. He handed it over with a nod, and hurried away.

“What is it?”

He placed it on the table in the room. “Food,” he said shortly. She shot over, looking at the tray hungrily. He pushed it towards her, noticing that there was more than usual, and sent silent thanks to the priestess. Despite her suspicion, she would make sure Kura was fed.

“What do you want?” she asked, interrupting his thoughts. He shook his head at her.

“Nothing,” he replied. “It’s all yours.”

“You sure, Ali?”

He nodded, leaving her to stand on the balcony again. The sun was fully visible now, and he closed his eyes as the warmth rested on him. She was quiet for a while, and he knew that she would be watching him, wondering about the changes that he knew she would be able to see. They had always been close, ever since she’d been born. He was always the one she’d go to when she was upset, or scared. Always the one she’d tell her good news to first.

He wasn’t sure if he’d changed too much for her to still feel that comfortable with him again.

Soon, though, he heard her soft footsteps, and turned to look at her as she joined him. He ran his eyes over her critically, assessing how she was. She looked happier now that her hunger was satisfied, but there was still a shadow in her dark eyes, so like his own.

“What are you thinking, Ali?”

“What I’m going to do with you,” he asked. “You should be at home, Kura.”

“I can’t.”

“Why not?” He resumed his study of the river, feeling the power of the water rushing through him.

“Be … because …”

He sighed, and gathered her into his arms. No matter how strong she tried to be, she would always be his baby sister. “What’s happened, Kura?” he murmured.

She shuddered, crying again. “They’re gone,” she forced through her sobs. His blood went cold. Gently, not speaking, he picked her up, cursing silently as he felt how light she was, and carried her inside. He settled on the bed, and she curled into his hold, burying her face in his shoulder. He rocked her, waiting until she felt she could speak again.