Forty-Four: Panthera

Panthera

He found her on the terrace, her face peaceful as she slept, but didn't wake her. Enjoying the sunshine himself, he leant his arms against the railing, watching the Sae as it tossed and tumbled the white water, soaking the land around it with the snow melts.

He was restless, feeling the call of the earth, telling him to do something. He just didn't know what to do. He couldn't leave the temple - not yet. And he knew full well that if he left, the townspeople would kill both him and his sister.

They were elves.

Besides, the priestess wanted him to stay, and he wasn't going to leave her just yet. He knew she wanted him, wanted him in more ways than one, and he knew also, without her telling him, that she was doubting her goddess.

She was jealous of Kura, too.

The thought made him smile as he looked over his shoulder at his baby sister. She'd always seemed young to him, always needing to be looked after, but now he could see that she had grown. She wasn't going to need him much longer, and he didn't want that to change.

Moving to her, he pulled her cloak around her a little more securely, so that she was more protected from the wind, and then left her, closing the door. She was safe there.

He moved swiftly along the passageways, a dark shadow in the dark halls, making his way to the large room deep underground. As much as he hated it there, it was one of the only places that could help dispel his boredom.

As he'd expected, the captain was already there, but also the priestess. She was barely trying to defend herself, almost as if she didn't care for the movements, and was quickly defeated. As before, the captain ignored the elf, pushing past him roughly as the priestess refused to meet his eyes.

"Leave."

He ignored her, instead doing the opposite. He came into the room, only stopping right in front of her. She lifted her head, her eyes glittering angrily.

"I said leave," she snapped.

He lifted his eyebrows. "And when have I ever listened to you?" he inquired.

She snarled at him, lashing out with the dagger in anger. He dodged, moving backwards, and drew his sword, wishing absently that he could have his own. Unfortunately, he'd left it behind in his room, where Kura knew where it was. He wasn't leaving her unprotected.

She swung for him again, but he blocked it, sending her dagger arm off course.

"You say you want to see my skills," he hissed, suddenly in a dangerous mood. "You had better be careful, priestess."

She growled, and flew for him. He blocked her easily, too easily, and almost immediately put her on the defensive as he went for her. He defeated her quickly, too quickly, and with minimal movements.

The dagger went flying, as she stayed pressed against the wall, her eyes bright, the sword at her throat. He stayed there for a moment, and then pulled away, dropping the sword's tip to pick up the dagger.

"So, fierce priestess," he said, almost conversationally, offering her the dagger again. She took it, glaring at him, and he took her other hand, keeping a watchful eye on her dagger, and drew her closer. "What is troubling you, priestess?"

She yanked free of his grip, spinning to turn her back on him.

"Fool," she muttered. "You know nothing."

"Oh, I know many things," he assured her, taking hold of her arm again, and pulling her back. This time, he held her chin, lifting it to meet her eyes. "But do tell me exactly what you think I don't know."

The anger left her eyes, to be replaced with sadness and pain. "I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because it's you!" she snapped. "You don't take anything seriously! How can I trust you when at the first moment you bring in a girl like her?"

He frowned, thinking through her words. The first part her agreed with whole heartedly. He knew it was true. But the second half needed more attention.

"My priestess," he said softly. "She is nothing like you."

Hurt filled her eyes, and she jerked away. "You expect that to make me feel better?" she demanded, tears choking her voice. He stepped closer, gently brushing his hand over her cheek.

"No, my priestess. But you assume wrong. I'm not with her. Nothing is between us."

"Then why is she here?" A tear spilt down her cheek, and he brushed it away before kissing her.

He didn't stop, even when she seemed to melt against him. He held her up.

Finally, her pulled apart, only slightly. "She is important, but not like you are," he whispered. "There's nothing for you to be afraid of. I promise you that."

She blinked, another tear rolling down her cheek, and reached up to hold her arms around his neck. "You promise?" Her voice was shaky.

He nodded. "Yes, my priestess." He kissed her again. "Fierce priestess."