Forty-Six: Panthera

Panthera

The time was drawing near. He could feel it in the air, in the wind that blew in from the sea. And he could see it in the eyes of the priestess.

The goddess was making her will known.

And despite not following the goddess, he knew that he would have no choice. He cared for the priestess, and if doing what he must saved her life, and the life of the land, then that was what he would do.

He knew she would hate him for it.

His duels with the captain resumed once more, but he was still bored. There was no reason for him to show his skills, no reason for him to really try, and it showed. The captain was defeating him within a few moves, but Panthera made no effort to change that, or defend himself.

He was bored.

As he’d known he would, the priestess quickly found him.

“Panthera, what are you doing?”

He turned, slipping his dagger back into the hidden sheath at his back. “None of your business,” he snapped.

She scowled at him, but chose not to press the matter further. Instead, she came closer, until she was standing next to him, carefully not looking at him.

“Panthera, I need to talk to you.”

“Well, you’ve succeeded,” he told her, leaning against the railing. He was, as normal when she found him, in his rooms, standing on the terrace at the railing. “You’ve spoken to me, I’ve responded. You can go away now.”

She scowled, looking down at the intricate carving underneath her hands. “You know that’s not what I meant.”

“Oh? Then do explain yourself. I’m fascinated.” His voice dripped with scorn and sarcasm, and he turned away, heading into the room.

“Panthera, please. Can’t you just listen for once?”

“No,” he tossed over his shoulder, glancing back to see that she had turned to keep him in sight. “I never listen. You should know that by now.”

Her scowl grew deeper. “Panthera, the goddess is growing more demanding. The visions … they’re scaring me. There’s not much time left.”

He sighed, closing his eyes briefly. He’d known it would all come down to this.

“Yet you tell me not what you want me to do.”

Her sigh was deep, slow and filled with pain. “I want you to stay with me,” she whispered. “But the goddess demands differently.”

He turned, facing her, meeting her eyes squarely. “Then we must obey the goddess, shouldn’t we?” he asked, scathingly. She stiffened at the insult.

“You dare – ”

“Yes!” he snapped, cutting her off. “I dare. I will have nothing to do with your precious goddess.” As usual, he sneered. The goddess was nothing to him.

It stung her, as it always did, and her cheek turned pink despite the coolness of the day. “Then forget about her!” she pleaded. “Please. I need to listen to her. Will you listen to me? Please, Panthera. I have to save the people.”

He advanced on her, stopping just in front of her. She lifted her chin so that their eyes met.

“Please,” she whispered again.

He held her face in both hands, holding her still as he kissed her long and slow before drawing away just as slowly. “You want me to stay with you, my priestess,” he murmured.