Thirty: Kuraĝon

Kuraĝon

It was true. She had been right. He was still alive, and still safe in the temple. She scurried away from the handout, food gathered in her arms, knowing that her dark blue eyes would have raised his suspicions. He would come find her, and then … then she would have to tell him the news. The news that she had carried with her for months as she searched for him alone, for their older brothers had refused. They had believed he was dead. He’d been away too long.

As she passed a particularly dark side street, a hand shot out, grabbing her wrist. Her squeal echoed through the empty streets, but no one came. No one would, if they valued their lives. She was on her own.

The man leered at her, gripping her wrist tight. She stared back at him with fear. “Well, well. A pretty girly.”

She flinched away, the movement causing her cloak to fall off her head, revealing her ears. His eyes widened, and he jerked her closer. Her food spilled to the ground as she fought, trying to break free.

“An elf. A pretty girly elf. What should we do with you, then?”

She swallowed, her heart beating hard. She had no idea what to do. The man chuckled, and reached for her other wrist, painfully twisting the one he already held. She whimpered in pain.

“I don’t think the priestess will mind if we … educate you, will she? She’s only going to kill you anyway.”

“No!” She pulled away, wishing that she was stronger, that she knew what to do, what to say to make him leave her alone.

“Let her go.”

She jerked, and the man froze, staring beyond her to where the voice had come from. She heard footsteps behind her, and let herself begin to relax.

She knew those footsteps.

“I said, let her go.”

She was let go abruptly. “So sorry,” the man stammered, and she turned, unsure why he had suddenly changed. A man was standing there, a dark cloak shadowing his face, but the uniform of the temple warriors was clearly visible. She swallowed again. She had been wrong. Again. She didn’t know those footsteps, and she was in deep trouble.

The cloaked man reached out to her and grabbed her arm, holding her tightly. “This will be taken care of, and your reward given,” he said sternly. “Leave.”

The man bowed his head, looking as afraid as she felt, and stumbled off. She kept her face hidden, knowing that the colour of her eyes was a giveaway – if the warrior hadn’t noticed already. Thankfully, her hair had fallen around her face, hiding the shape of her ears again. He jerked her slightly.

“Pick it up.”

She hurried to do what he said, gathering the dropped food. By the light of the moon, she could see that it was covered in mud, and she felt like crying. Such a waste. When she had gathered it all up again, he gripped her arm, and towed her through the streets, nearly dragging her. She risked a closer look at him just as the moon lit up his face, and felt relief rush through her.

“Ali?” she whispered.

He looked at her, the familiar smirk settling on his face. “You didn’t recognise me,” he stated.

She shook her head. “No. You’ve … well, you …”

He grinned at her. “Hush now,” he ordered softly, pausing at an intersection before moving on. She obeyed, holding her tongue despite the millions of questions she wanted to ask him.

When he led her to the temple, however, she baulked, not wanting to go near it. He looked at her, a slight frown creasing his face.

“It’s fine,” he said, almost gently. “I promise. You’ll be safe here.”

She looked at him, shaking, and then nodded, trusting him. He had always kept her safe. She was taken through the entrance near the handout area, the entrance that she had seen him come out of only an hour before.

He led her through the dimly lit passages, their footsteps echoing. She stayed close to him, not liking the stone pressing around her. It felt wrong.

“What have you done?”

He barely paused at the woman’s voice. “Nothing.”

“Then what are you doing with her?”

Scared, Kuraĝon pressed close to him as he stopped and turned to look at the speaker. She stared at the priestess, awed by her beauty and bearing.

“Never you mind,” he snapped, shocking Kuraĝon. She looked up at him, blinking as she took in the changes now that his hood had fallen off. He was leaner somehow, his expression harder. She sensed that he wasn’t the fun brother that she’d once had. In the torchlight, she caught a glimpse of the leather thong hanging around his neck, disappearing under his shirt, and was grateful to know that he had kept her amulet all these years.

The priestess narrowed her eyes, coming closer. “If this interferes, Panthera,” she hissed. Kuraĝon’s eyes went even wider.

“It won’t,” he replied, cutting her off. “Not everything’s about you and the link.” That silenced the priestess long enough for him to guide Kuraĝon away. “This way,” he murmured.

She went with him, looking over her shoulder to see that the priestess was still where they’d left her, staring after them. Rather quickly, she found herself in a medium sized room. She looked about her with wide eyes. She’d never seen such luxury before. Everything was so expensive! But she stayed where she was in the centre of the room, holding the spoiled food in her arms. She didn’t take her eyes off her brother, who was standing at the curtained doorway. She knew that he was thinking. He would be frowning, wondering what he was going to do with her.

“Don’t send me away. Please.”

She broke the silence first, making full use of his weakness. He could never deny her when she begged him. She was in for a shock this time, though. He glanced at her, and she saw that he was unmoved. She sniffed, and he sighed, crossing to stand in front of her. He rested his hands on her shoulders, and shook her briefly.

“What were you thinking?” he demanded. “You! Of all people! Why have you come?”

She sniffed again, tears filling her eyes. She’d thought he’d be glad to see her. He didn’t give her a chance to reply.

“You’re lucky I sensed you. Who knows what he would have done!”

She blinked. “You … you knew I was here?”

He shook her again. “Of course, you silly thing. You’ve been here for weeks!”

“Then … why didn’t you …”

“Because I thought you’d use your head,” he snapped, his slight good humour evaporating. “It’s not safe for you here! You know that. You’ve known it since you could understand. Why in the name of the earth did you come in the first place?”

She bowed her head, hating herself. “I … no one else could,” she whispered. He stilled, and lifted her chin gently. As he always was.

“What’s happened, Kura?” he asked softly, his temper gone in an instant. “What’s troubling you?”

She shook her head, the events and terror of the evening finally catching up to her. Tears fell down her cheeks, and she sobbed into his arms, unable to get more than a syllable out. He cradled her tightly, comforting her until she fell asleep in his arms.