Fifty-One: Kuraĝon

Kuraĝon

She waited as long as she dared, knowing that every moment she waited meant that her brother’s ashes would be scattered. She had to get to them, to treat them with the proper respect that a guardian of the earth deserved – and to find his amulet. She knew that if he could have, he would have left a message for her, and if she found the amulet, she knew what to do.

She must run.

She had to leave the walled town, leave it to never come back.

Staying in the room, she passed the time by packing up what she could of her brother’s belongings. There was barely anything, and she knew that he had left most of it at the house. She’d been there before searching for him in the town. His sword, she fastened at her own hip, making sure that it was secure. She couldn’t lose that. It held too many memories

Ailill had made it himself, long before she was born, and it was meant only to be wielded by him. He’d taught her how to use it, though, taught her how to compensate for the odd way it swung, and the strange weight of it. She could use it fairly well, but it was still his sword.

She found his cloak, the dark fabric shimmering slightly in the light, and she had to blink back tears.

Too many memories.

Casting a glance around the room to make sure that she hadn’t forgotten anything, she sighed deeply, and placed the bag down. She didn’t want it to look like she was leaving. She knew that the priestess would be furious. And her brother’s warning was still ringing in her ears.

She had to be careful.

As a knock sounded on the door, she jumped, beginning to shake. Forcing down her fear, she managed to compose herself.

“It’s open.”

As she spoke, she moved to the terrace, needing the touch of the spring air to help calm her.

“You’re a foolish child.”

She didn’t turn around, choosing to ignore the priestess. The woman had killed her brother.

“Turn and face me when I’m talking to you!”

“No.”

Dead silence answered her, and then she heard footsteps coming closer. Kuraĝon turned her head slightly, just enough that she could see the priestess from the corner of her eye.

“I know you’re grieving for him. But there was no other choice.”

Fury flared in the young elf, and she spun, glaring at the woman. “You have no idea what he was to me!” she snapped. “He was nothing to you! And you killed him! Why should I listen to you now?”

The priestess’ eyes flashed, but she held back her anger. “You are grieving,” she repeated. “And you don’t understand what has happened. You’ll stay here, child, until you’ve calmed.”

Kuraĝon lifted her chin defiantly. “Make me.”

The priestess only lifted her eyebrows, folding her hands in front of her. “There is nothing out there for you,” she explained, sounding almost as if she was trying to be gentle and understanding. “It’s too dangerous for a girl your age to be alone. You’ll be safe here.”

With difficulty, Kuraĝon held back the curses that wanted to spill from her lips. Girl? She was no girl. And she had no need to be protected. But her brother’s words rang in her ears again.

Be careful of the priestess, Kura.

Instead, she turned her head away, as if she was thinking, or hiding tears. The movement made the priestess come closer, gently laying a hand on her shoulder.

“You are safe here, child,” she said softly, her voice gentler now. “There is no need to be afraid any longer. Everything will turn out alright.”

It was the perfect opening. Kuraĝon tore away from the hand on her shoulder, tears coming to her eyes as she glared at the woman.

“Nothing will be alright!”

She ran out of the room, the bag in her hand, and the sword on her hip.

She couldn’t get caught now.

She had to be careful. She had to avoid the warriors.

She couldn’t be caught now.