Chapter 12 : I'm a Kim

JENNIE'S POV

Something weird was happening when I woke up this morning. The luxurious apartment where I was staying was used to be quiet, especially so early in the morning. Something told me that this surprise wasn't going to be so pleasant, especially when I wasn't ready to face them. I admit that for a while I thought about running away through the balcony of my bedroom except that I realized that I was on the top floor of the building.

Well, it would be a shame if a beautiful girl like me died so soon.

Being aware that I couldn't hang out in bed all day and pretend I was in a coma, I forced myself out of bed by dragging myself to the bathroom. I had to be at least presentable because they hated it when I came to breakfast without brushing my teeth. I especially wanted to avoid my father's patriarchal speeches.

For centuries, kitchen utensils and equipment have never been so useful until today. My mother was preparing her fabulous dishes by running from left to right while my father was reading his newspaper with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Nice too see you Mom, Dad. You're lucky I remembered I had parents or I would have come down with a baseball bat," I said mockingly. My father frowned before folding his newspaper in half and placed it on the kitchen counter. 

"Great. So this is how you say hello to your parents after 3 months not seeing them," he loosened his navy blue striped tie that my mother had given him for his birthday. In fact, I thought it was cute that their love was the same as when they met. It was just their not enough-love for me that bothered me, I wasn't even sure I was their child.  

"Honey, come give your mom a big hug. How is my princess?" she touched my face and my hair. She looked at me with such tenderness that it was the only thing that reassured me that she had not forgotten me. I had the same cat eyes as her, it was impossible not to know that we were mother and daughter. 

Concerning my father, he always had trouble showing his love. He used to be gentle with me, he was my prince charming. I was so spoiled that even his parents scolded him. And then one day, I started to grow up. I started having my period. I started having my first boyfriend. He had become distant, strict and cold towards me. However, he continued to fulfil his role as a father by buying me things, but sometimes I want to yell at him and tell him that I didn't care about those things. I just wanted him to be like he was before, when I was still his little princess.

"I'm fine Mom. I'm glad you're here," I hugged her back. The scent of lavender emanating from her clothes reminded me of childhood memories, I smile at the thought.

"Your father couldn't stay calm for a second on the plane. He was looking forward to seeing you again, you know," my mother whispered to me with a faint smile looking behind what my father was doing. He was now in the living room looking at his tablet. Probably responding to his business partners.

"Anyway, how long are you staying in Seoul before you go back on that private jet," I bitterly asked realizing that in a few days, I would no longer see them for several months, again. 

"We're going to stay for a while. I think it's time for us to take a break and..." he looked at my mother who gave him a thumbs up to keep him going,"... spending time with family,"

"Great idea, darling," she placed her arms around my father's waist, "So, are you planning something today?"

"I have private lessons today, sorry," but the guilt ate me seeing the expression of both my parents, "But I will be home tonight. Maybe we could talk and just chill out?"

"Chill? Netflix and Chill?" she innocently asked. 

"Mom! That's grossing, you don't even know what it means!" I ended up laughing because it was very embarrassing, especially when I saw my father's face, which didn't seem to understand anything. My mother finally got what I meant and laughed too. My father's head was so epic that I would have done anything to see it again.