Chapter 23 : I thought that

LISA'S POV

I was pretty sure I looked like an idiot standing with my luggage while Jennie ran to the toilet without even being surprised that there were people in my house. The tension had suddenly become tense with my mother in her business attire. She only wore it when she had an important appointment or wanted to look serious, especially when she had something to talk to me about. 

"Who's that, Lisa?" she looked taller today but it was probably due to her new pair of heels that a guy she met in Milan gave her. My mother had a knack for manipulating men.

"Why are you here? I don't remember us agreeing to meet today," I calmly laid my thin jacket on the table I had taken with me, knowing that when I came back here, the cold would be waiting for me.

The surprise guest was now standing by the chair respectfully waiting for the discussion between my mother and me to end. I could see the discomfort that had set in as she played with her fingers while looking at her feet. Her black suit was strangely similar to my mother's, except that her jacket was sewn differently with gold buttons that also adorned her pockets. Her pants, which were the same colour as the rest of her outfit, showed her long thin legs. She had the perfect profile to be a model.

"I told you I'd come as soon as you got back. About your little secret trip to Thailand, we'll talk about it later," she made a pointed look like she just caught her daughter coming home from a party. My eyes widened as Jennie bounced off the toilet towards me. She had loosened her hair, which was now slightly wavy. 

"God I'm so thirsty! Do you have any juice?" she freely opened my fridge still denying the presence of my mother and her special guest. 

"Mrs. Kim..." I said in a warning tone. I was praying she wouldn't do something stupid. 

"What?" she turned to me with a cookie in her mouth and dropped all the crumbs to the floor. My mother looked disgusted before she looked at Jennie from head to toe. In her head, the critics were scrolling and the list went on and on. My mother didn't like girls who were a little out of the ordinary. And the least we can say is that Jennie is ordinary. 

"Who are young lady? Didn't your parents teach you manners like to say hello?" she had that superior look on her face again when she lifted her chin to look down on people. My mother sometimes thought she came from an aristocratic family and that made me laugh because she looked ridiculous. 

"Oh don't worry. My parents gave me an excellent education except that I choose to do it only when I find it useful," 

"Kim, stop," 

"Lisa, will you please tell me who this rude girl is?" she walked to the girl and took her hand sweetly, "Suzy, I'm sorry you have to witness this mess but Lisa is sometimes a bit stubborn," her face was replaced by eyes full of admiration and her features became soft as she spoke to her. 

"It's okay Mrs. Manoban. I don't want to get involved in any mother-daughter issues. If you wish, I can leave and we can see each other some other day," she spoke so low that I could barely hear what she was saying. 

"Suzy, honey. I told you to call me mom. In a little while, we'll be the same family, I hope. And don't worry, it won't be long before Lisa's guest leaves." she glared at Jennie who was still standing eating my snacks not caring anything.  

"Mom, I really don't have time and I have to drop my student off at her house," I was already ready to take my car keys.

"What?! She's your student? How come you're with her? What's this all about?" she was fuming and both of them were confused. I spoke too soon. I shouldn't have said she was my student because now I had to come up with an excuse to cover up this shit.