7

The cold air pinched Violet on her way outside. She shivered as she trekked the trail that led to the hospital. The soft snow making a smashing noise as she made each step. Covering the layered snow with footprints. The cool breeze kicked up and flew through her hair, making her teeth chatter.

It was definitely her worst season. The only good coming out of the winter was the holiday coming up in a week. She loved spending Christmas with her friend's and unwrapping gifts that they all gave to each other.

She took a look at the park as she headed to the hospital. Watching as two kids played along with each other with their dad sitting on the bench. She smiled at the kids, remembering her past, before the tragic event. When she was innocent and climbed the monkey bars with Brody. Their friendship was way stronger at the time.

The laughter of the kids brought joy to the blonde as she smiled the rest of the way, inside the white building. Making her way to the receptionist lady and waited for her to get done with someone else. She whistled a song that Minnie use to sing a while back when they were dating.

"Next." The receptionist said, looking at Violet. She walked closer to the counter and marked herself in as a visitor. "And who will you be seeing?"

"Minerva Singer, ma'am." She answered, watching the lady type something on her computer before pulling out a card. She grabbed a necklace strap and inserted the visitor sheet inside the pocket of the brace. She handed her the pass and attended her own business.

Violet placed the pass around her neck and began her walk to the room. She entered the room and saw the sleeping redhead. She walked over to a chair and sat on it quietly, not wanting to disturb her rest.

She grabbed a news article on the side of her bed and began reading. She flipped the page and found somethin disturbing. There was a circled passage and an annotated side marker for the subtitle: " New Frontier begins recruiting in West Virginia."

Violet was unsure why Minnie would be interested in this gang. The New Frontier were a group of freaks that branded themselves. She was disgusted of the idea of burning your flesh. She then read the annotated bit on the side of the passage.

New Frontier is here. You need to get into shape. As soon as your better get ready for a war.

It occurred to Violet that Minerva didn't write this. But who did it, and why?

"Violet?" Minerva croaked as she sat up from the bed. Stretching and yawning as she looked at the blonde sitting with the papers in her hands.

"Morning Min. How are you feeling?" She asked as she closed the article. Watching the tired redhead smile to hear her voice.

"Great. I had pudding for breakfast lunch and dinner. I would literally kill for a decent meal right now." She laughed at her joke, looking at the blonde who chuckled slightly but still looked bothered.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Minnie asked, looking over the distressed girl who shook her head.

Violet didn't know where to start. She didn't know what to say, she sighed. Violet scanned the room and found drawings painted near the bed. Some were old drawings from when they were younger. Some of them were newer, get well drawings. Sophie was a great artist. Glad she's drawing again.

"Minnie, you've been gone for a month. No one knew what happened to you or where you were. We looked for you for a week until the trail was too cold to search. Since then, I've had some time to think on my own. We need to solve our issues so that we can both stay in the group together." She says, looking dead in Minnie's blue eyes.

Tears formed in her eyes as the hard green eyes kept their glare. Minnie couldn't hold the tears any longer as she began to sob. She sat up and began to hug the blonde, crying over her shoulder.