30

"So what really happened out there?" Clementine asked the redhead. Louis looking at Sophie, searching for the same answer.

"It all happened so fast. We were trying to leave. Gunshots rang everywhere." Sophie described. "We didn't even realize until Dorian had taken us..."

"Dorian?" Clementine interrupted.

"Yeah. Someone who wanted a way out. Just like us. She took us to her car and Brody just... Collapsed." Sophie told them. "Violet stayed behind to let Brody go." She said and tears formed in her eyes. She then got closer to Louis and gave a side hug.

"The whole ride was stressful. Brody wouldn't accept my faith. She just kept talking morbidly. She said 'tell Violet that I'm sorry we couldn't take that trip to Arizona. Tell Clem that she's been a good friend this past month. Tell everyone how much I appreciate them.' It was like she couldn't think of herself being able to live through this." Sophie said and stayed on the dreadlocked boy's side.

"She was giving up?" Clementine asked, Sophie unable to speak. Just after, Violet walked out of the room and dashed to the stairs. She began descending quickly. Clementine looked back at the two. Louis gave her a nod as to chase after her. Clem nodded back and started after the blonde.

Going down the stairs and to the blonde who opened the front door. Clementine thought she would have to chase her down the street again. But instead, Violet stood outside, just a few feet by the door. Taking deep breaths.

"Vi?" Clementine called, the blonde looking down. "Are you okay?" She asked.

"No, Clem. I'm not okay." Violet answered, looking up at the night sky. The small rays of sunlight barely touching the night sky as a light pink hue.

"You wanna talk about it?" Clementine asked, hoping the blonde would open up.

"Brody was—is my best friend," Violet spoke. "We did everything together, you know?"

Clementine walked by her side and put a hand onto her girlfriend's shoulder. Watching the blonde take a short hitched breath.

"My parents died when I was young," Violet said, Clementine looked at her with sad eyes. "Brody was the only friend I had at the time. And when I finally told her... Weeks later. She had told her parents. They informally adopted me."

Clementine didn't speak though. She let the blonde release her feelings. The first time she ever spoke about her family, she never mentioned their deaths.

"Brody became my big sister." Violet croaked. "She was always there for me. Every night I was down, any time I thought of my parents. Every prom night, every break up. She was there for me. I think it's because she knows I'm weak. She knows that I need her to cope with everything."

"You're not weak Violet," Clementine spoke, looking Violet in her green-hued eyes.

"Yes, I am. Ever since my parents died, I let every little thing become much too personal. But Brody knew how to make me feel better." Violet gave a small smile. "She asked me, 'if you were to go somewhere, anywhere in the world, where would you go?' And I thought about it long and hard. I had told her the Grand Canyon. She told me that if we ever earned enough money, she'd take me to see it."

Clementine thought about what she heard. She then looked back at Violet and sighed.

"Did I ever tell you about my parents?" She asked and Violet looked at her confused.

"You mean Lee?" She asked.

"No. He's my adoptive father. I grew up with my mom and dad. Until I was maybe eight or so." She started.