Chapter-32

Ariana

Finally, the day had arrived. The day of the party.

I was at Lauren's house to get ready for the party.
Just for once, I thought Xavier would ask me to be his date. But he didn't pick up the topic. I wasn't upset at all because why would he? I knew no one would ever ask me for it, no one ever did before and no one will do it in the coming future. I didn't know whether Xavier will come alone or will bring any date with him, but one thing I was sure of— he'll not look at me...even for once. And thinking about Xavier bringing someone and not noticing me caused my heart to constrict in mysterious pain.

In the morning, I silently slipped the gift I bought in their offices, I also placed a note with the box. Bracelets weren't expensive like the things they used to wear, I didn't know if they'd like them or not but I just wanted them to keep the bracelets with them as a memory... because this was the first gift I had ever given to anyone. No one was ever this close to me. All the people I had met before were just selfish and rude.

"Sit here, let me do my magic on you," Lauren said, pulling me out of my train of thoughts. She was enthusiastic to doll me up and I was scared of her enthusiasm. She made me sit on a table stool in her room, she didn't even let me sit in front of the mirror.

"Lauren, please, don't cake me up. I just want a little makeup. Okay?" I said, looking at her with hopeful eyes.

"Ariana, I know what to do with your face. I won't cake you up, stay assured. You are a natural beauty, I won't hide your natural beauty with artificial beautifiers. Trust me, okay?" She said assuring. I nodded my head.

She started doing her magic and I didn't know for how long I sat there being her canvas but when she was done with her art, she chirped happily,

"Perfect, Now wear your dress and then I'll decide what to do with your hair."

"Umm..my hair? A bun won't do?" I asked nervously. I had never experimented with my hair.

"Nope. Not gonna happen. Now change," She said determinedly.

"Can you go out while I change?"

"Oh come on, as if you have something I don't have. We both are female remember?" She raised an eyebrow at me.

"Umm...yeah but...please I need some privacy."

"Oh Ariana, sometimes I don't get it why are you so shy? Okay fine I'll go out, call me when you're done." Saying that she left her room.

I locked the door and took the only decent dress I found in the shop out of the bag. I hastily removed my jumpsuit I was wearing and put on the dress. It was a zipper dress but I didn't need any assistance with that because my hands easily reached for the zipper. I unlocked the door and called her inside.

She entered the room and when she saw me her jaw almost hit the floor and her eyes went wide.

"Freaking hell, Ariana! You—wait I'll complete my sentence after I am done with your hair. Come sit. Hurry." She ran to me and again made me sit on the table stool. She let my hair free from the tight bun. I closed my eyes. She'll also comment that my hair is unattractive. Scarlet and her friends used to say that.

"Goodness Ariana, your hair is so soft and silky. It's beautiful. Why do you always hide your hair in a bun?" She asked.

Beautiful? No, my hair is not beautiful. She is just saying to make me feel good.

"Lauren, please don't lie. You can give your honest opinion, I won't mind." I mumbled.

"Lie? Why would I even do that? Your hair is beautiful and I am not lying about that." She said, looking at me.