The End is near

It was night time, somewhere past 3 o'clock. Martin was not searching for Soul, instead he was thinking about the possibilities in which the events would end. Supposing that he wasn't in France already, he would've now arrived for sure. So would have K, along with Shadow for sure, and with Heart if he thinks that her presence is not a danger for his plans. Martin could tell that. He was not Soul, but he was his student. He had learnt enough to derive the mentality and psychology of a person by analysis of their actions and habits. 

That's what made him conclude that something was going wrong with Soul. He was doing weird things this time, and he had not attended any of his calls from the past few hours. Speaking of phone calls, the last one which he had was disturbing him from a long time. 

Chief had managed to locate Shadow's London hideout, and had found Prof. Harris's body lying lifelessly on the wheelchair. How gruesome and inhuman can one be, to leave a body in this condition lying alone at a place like this for more than forty-eight hours. But Martin also didn't expected what Professor's last words would be.

'The day I smile...' 

Yeah. That's what he told Chief before dying. But Martin was wondering what it could mean. Of course it was a part of a sentence, but Martin could not derive any more than that. But the main point was, that Prof. Harris was under the effects of the antidote, so there was no way in which he could've told Chief that. That's why he was calling Chief for the last five hours, but his phone was probably switched off. He looked at it, 20 calls dialed to Chief's number. 

Martin gave it one more time, and to much of his surprise, the bell rang this time. He waited desperately as the the bell rang again, and this time, Chief picked up the phone.

"Hello Martin, sorry for the unexpected put off last time. I actually had a small accident, due to which my phone broke apart. I have just bought a new one, and have ported my original SIM to this one. I couldn't call you by any other means as I was quite busy the whole day. The streets are on fire these days."

"What? What do you mean by that?" He asked curiously. 

"What haven't you heard the news? Well technically the whole world is on fire right now." Chief said. "People have gone crazy. They are fighting each other on the streets over pointless things. shops and stores are being burnt down, there are riots going on in every major city of the world. People are doing whatever they like to do and no one is in their senses right now. Only if you would have seen it with your own eyes, you would have realized what I am talking about. At least in London, there is absolute chaos."

"Why, For real? What is the police and the government doing, and why is the media not covering the news?" He asked.

"I told you, no one is in their senses. Most of the police and the media are themselves on the streets. Some of us are trying to maintain order, but it is becoming more and more dangerous of us every moment. In fact, I am talking to you right now because my left arm has broken while I was saving a couple from a riot, and I would be going back in just a minute. As for the media, I can tell you that they are still debating over the United Nations incident."

"But why is it happening at the first place?" He shouted in anger.

"It's obvious." Chief said. "What would you do if you know that you are about to die tomorrow?"

"I would try to find out the cause of my death and to prevent it, and at the same time, I would ensure that if I fail in doing so, then all those who know me will live happily after my death." 

"Huh? Of course, that's what one would expect from a true detective like you. Anyways, the symbol of peace, United Nations has been broken down to bits. I am not talking about the organization, but the trust which people had on it. Plus America and Britain have surrendered, so people are revolting against the government. People don't feel safe anymore, and judging K from the perspective of a common man, he is no more than a mad lunatic psychopathic terrorist. In overall, it's like the end of humanity, and there is only one day left until it actually happens. That's what people think, and that's why they are doing whatever makes them feel happy. They are forcefully taking what they want, even those who had lived whole of their lives with honesty and rightfulness, are feeling broken from inside. This is resulting in a killing spree all around the world." Chief said depressingly. "Also all the countries are busy in finding K and Soul, so no one realizes the outburst of chaos before it is too late. Hey Martin, it looks like I have to go back to duty again. I wish you luck on your mission of catching K. I hope everything turns out to be good before it's too late -