Surge (part 3)

A/N: If trip nyo, pakiplay po yung kanta sa multimedia para mas ramdam 😂 Okay, back to story...

Sandy reached over her bedside table to get her phone. There she saw multiple missed calls. Panic and fear immediately crept all over her body. Without even changing her jammies, she took her bag and ran outside their house. She didn't even greet Anne and just hopped in her car.

The house is just near the hospital but the trip seemed to be longer than it should be. Sandy was very uneasy and she's very tensed. By the time they reached the hospital, Anne told Sandy to go on and head to the ICU where Peter is.

Nakita nya ang mga nurses sa kanilang station na nakatanaw lang doon sa kwarto ni Peter. The chief was also there, reviewing some charts and gave Sandy a nod upon seeing her.

Napahinto nalang sya sa tapat ng ICU at biglang naiyak. There he saw Peter, awake and laughing. He was talking to his bestfriend, Billy, and his fellow racer, Vhong. He saw her and gave her a smile she missed seeing. He held his arms open while looking at her. Sandy went inside and gave her husband a hug. It was a long hug and Sandy was still crying in his arms.
PETER: Hey, tahan na.
SANDY: I thought I'll never be able to talk to you again.

Billy and Vhong stepped out to give Sandy and Peter some privacy and time to catch up. Billy, on the other hand, was called by Dr. Vidanes.
BILLY: Chief! Thank God! He's finally awake.
DR. VIDANES: Yes, but you might want to make the most out of it.
BILLY: What do you mean? (long pause) Oh shit. Is this it? Oh my god. Tama ba ako, chief?
DR. VIDANES: (sad smiles)

Lumabas sandali si Sandy para tawagan ang kanilang mga kamag-anak. Sila Anne at Vhong ay pumasok sa kwarto para makipagkwentuhan kay Peter.
PETER: Kaya nga. Pero sa totoo lang, I admire you, Anne. Baguhan ka palang, di katulad nitong katabi mong beterano na.
VHONG: Huy! Magkasabay lang tayo (laughs)
PETER: (laughs) Mas nauna ka. Anyway, Anne, as I was saying, I admire you kasi ang galing mo sa racetrack. I've seen your previous races and you're really one with your car. Piece of advice lang, it's not always advisable na lagi kang nakastep sa gas pedal. Yes, it's a race pero pansinin mo, mas smooth yung driving mo and mas less tiring kapag hindi ka yung puro bilis lang and kakasimula palang ng karera, gusto mo nasa number one spot ka na. You know what I mean?
ANNE: Yes.
PETER: Ayun, enjoy every race. Finishing on the podium is great, winning on the top is better. Pero savor every bit of the race. Kasi in that way, mas matututo ka. You'll be able to observe your opponents' weaknesses and strengths and you'll get to know yourself more as a racer and mas makikilala mo rin yung kotse mo.
ANNE: Yun pala ang secret. Thanks, Peter.
PETER: No problem, Femme Fatale. Just a little advice from a fellow racer (smiles)
VHONG: Grabe ka naman, Pedro. Mas matagal na tayong magkaibigan pero never mong na-share sa'kin yang tip na yan.
PETER: We have our own techniques. I'm sure Anne will eventually find her own "groove" as time passes by. Ikaw naman, magaling ka na racer. Multiple wins ka na rin kaya lang piece of advice lang din, wag pikon brad.
VHONG: Di naman ka---
PETER: Oh ayan, defensive ka na naman. Uulitin ko lang tsaka intindihin mo muna bago magreact (chuckles) Pag di ka nanalo, wag mapikon. Ang mga racers, iba-iba ang ugali nyan at hindi lahat makakasundo mo. Deadma nalang sa kanila kung nagyayabang o kung ano. Atleast nasubukan mo na kung paano yung taong yun sa tracks. Example ako, kilala ako as "The Surge" because of my signature technique. Ikaw, Suavé, you can use your skill to "break" the Surge.
VHONG: Paano?
PETER: Ayoko, baka gamitin mo against me sa next race.
VHONG: Dali na! Daya naman nito.
PETER: Luh iiyak na
VHONG: Gago
PETER: (laughs) Ayun, di ba ang "Surge" technique ko: sa isang part ng track, I tend to go to the innermost lane while the usual spots for us is either the middle or the outer lanes. Then pag may nakita na akong enough distance, I would accelerate and squeeze in between two opponents, drifting in the process, leading me into the outermost lane. So pag nagdrift, my speed would be decreasing kasi I stepped on the brakes. Once I do that "Surge", people would cheer and opponents will be distracted. I use that opportunity to regain my speed and leave them in dust.
VHONG: So paano ko mabebreak yung Surge?
PETER: Simple lang. I don't know why anyone hasn't done it yet. Basic thing lang din in general. Defensive driving.
VHONG: Oh... So I have to step on the brakes pag nandun ka na sa drifting portion para hindi ka makasingit and at the same time, mas makukulelat ka kasi mababa yung speed mo kumpara sa amin?
PETER: Exactly. So basically yung advice ko for the both of you ay correlated.
ANNE: Wow.
VHONG: (O.O) Hindi ko naisip yun.
PETER: Kasi nga, you are too focused on reaching the finish line. Nadidistract kayo kaya instead of finishing first, nauunahan kayo. Diskarte din ang kailangan, hindi puro bilis.
RYAN: (knocks) Good evening po.
ANNE: Ay nandito na yung nurse mo. Lalabas muna kami, Peter.
PETER: Sige.
VHONG: Salamat sa advice, Peter.
PETER: You're welcome.