10 | the negotiation

10 | THE NEGOTIATION

In a cantina in another planet, Mando sat directly across from Celeste

In a cantina in another planet, Mando sat directly across from Celeste. Beside Celeste was a basket covered in a blanket, which held the child within. Although the basket was conspicuous enough to tell people there was a baby in there, it was so plainly hidden that no one bothered to take a peek inside. "I know you don't like it, but, until we can find a safe place to stay—I have to find another job." Mando told Celeste.

"Clearly finding bounty jobs without the Guild isn't working. We need to find something else... what about Vikkal?" Celeste brought up the man that they supposed was sending all these bounty hunters after her.

"What about him?" Mando growled, the sound of his name revolted him.

"Look, I know you won't like it, but it's the only way you can shake half of the bounty hunters coming after you. Turn me in to Vikkal. That way, all you have to worry about is protecting the kid, and I can send money to you from Vikkal's account. He'd never find out." Celeste proposed, her voice low as she feared someone was listening into their conversation around them.

"No." Mando curtly replied.

"You haven't—"
"No."
"But—"
"No."

Mando dropped his fist of the table, asserting that he was not changing his answer. "I've got an old friend I can call. But, there's no way I'll be able to hide you from him. So, you're going to have to play along like you're a bounty hunter." Mando informed her.

"What's this old friend's name?" Celeste inquired.

"Ran. He's a little rough around the edges but I know he holds true to his policy: no questions asked. Look, if we do this, you can't use your power." Mando warned her.

"You mean the force." She corrected him.

"Yeah, whatever." Mando brushed her correction off. It was almost as if he didn't want to admit out loud that she was force sensitive. Celeste didn't know anything about his history with those that were force sensitive or if he knew anything at all about the force. All she knew was that he was uncomfortable in saying that she was force sensitive.

"Celeste?" A faintly recognizable voice called out from afar. Mando snapped his head in the direction of the source. Celeste looked over and smiled brightly upon recognizing the face of the man that called her. "Speaking of old friends." Celeste quickly commented to Mando before she stood up to greet her old friend.

"Jair?" Celeste took a second look at the man to make sure it was the same boy that grew up with her on Tatooine as they were both orphans trying to avoid being enslaved.