13 | the word

13 | THE WORD

Once Mando put the ship on autopilot, he took a seat beside Celeste while she was watching over the child as he was fighting the urge to fall asleep

Once Mando put the ship on autopilot, he took a seat beside Celeste while she was watching over the child as he was fighting the urge to fall asleep. Celeste has her nose in a thick, old book. "Where'd you get that from?" Mando asked her as he took a look at the title of the book. It read: THE JEDI PATH.

"I stole it from Ran's space station. It was just sitting there." She shrugged. The book was actually quite intriguing, though it felt like a textbook for those who were planning on studying the ways of the force full-time. Like back when the original Jedi Order was in tact and they trained children. It told Celeste the fundamentals about what she was experiencing with the force and it detailed the appropriate mannerisms of a Jedi. She typically brushed over the mannerisms and rules, her curiosity drove her to read everything about controlling the force and lightsabers.

Mando grabbed the book from her and closed it. "Come on, you haven't rested in a while. I'll keep an eye on the kid." Mando looked over at the child who's eyelids were growing painfully heavy.

Celeste groaned, but did as told, anyway. She leaned over to look at the baby directly in the eye before she parted with him. The child placed his hand on Celeste's cheek, looked over at Mando and whispered "ma" as his eyes finally closed shut. Both Mando and Celeste instantly shot their heads toward each other.

"Did you just—"
"Yes I did."
"I think he just called me."
"No, he called me!"
"Ma, as in mama? Give it up.."
"I'm pretty sure it's Ma, as in Mando."
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes."

"Are you insane? He's definitely calling me mama or mommy. He even touched my face before he said it!" Celeste whisper-yelled at Mando, to not wake the sleeping child.

"You've never even said the word mama around him, he wouldn't know to call you that." Mando scoffed at her.

"He's fifty years old, Mando. I'm pretty sure he's heard the word mama at least once before." Celeste argued as she got up to walk away from him.

"I'm pretty sure he meant Mando." Mando muttered to himself, but Celeste heard and replied a low "shut up!" before she took off to go rest her head for a little bit before they arrived at their next destination.

* * *

Mando received a message from Greef Carga, his old Guild boss that assigned him to capture Celeste and the child. Mando had thought he had killed the man, but apparently not. "My friend, if you are receiving this transmission, that means you're alive. You might be surprised to hear this, but I am alive, too. I guess we can call it even. A lot has happened since we last saw each other. The man who hired you for the child is still here, and his ranks of ex-Inperial guards have grown. They have imposed despotic rule over my city, which had impeded the livelihood of the Guild. We consider him an enemy, but we cannot get close enough to take him out. If you would consider one last commission, I will very much make it worth your while. You've been successful so far in staving off their hunters, but they will not stop until they have their prize. So, here is my proposition. Return to Nevarro. Bring the child as bait. I will arrange an exchange and provide loyal Guild members as protection. Once we get near the client, you kill him, and we both get what we want. If you succeed, you keep the child and I will have your name cleared with the Guild, for a man of honor should not be forced to life in exile. I await your arrival with optimism." The message ended.