Chapter 9

Back at the house...

Selin's doorbell rang and there was slight relief to have to walk away from what seemed like a never-ending conversation about her job and financial responsibilities with her parents.

"Excuse me," she said to her guests wondering who would be at her door. 

"Who is it," she called walking down the hall slowly as she approached the door.

"Delivery," Demir said as Selin looked through the peephole.

Selin opened the door as fast as she could. Demir put a finger up to his mouth to silence her as he stepped in and peeked down the hall.

"Where are they?" he mouthed.

"On the veranda," she whispered back.

Demir put the bags and string-tied boxes down that he was carrying and swept Selin up into his arms, pressing his lips to hers quickly, leaving her a little dizzy.

"Umm," she laughed trying to regain her senses. "What are you doing here?" she said in a hushed tone. Their whispering continued. 

"I missed not being able to be with you," he admitted with a slight mocking tone, holding her face firmly with his hands. 

"I missed you too!" she whined. "This isn't ....I mean I can't believe my parents!"

"I know," he said more seriously, stroking her hair. "Just follow my lead, okay?" 

Demir didn't quite know how things would play out, but he did know that he wanted to put in an appearance and make a good impression on her parents. Things hadn't ended badly after the first visit. In fact, things had ended on a good note. There was no reason to think her parents would be unhappy to see him.

Selin nodded. 

"Except for now, lead the way," he put his arm out then picked up the bags and pastry boxes he had brought.

"Selin, who is it?" Selin's dad, Semih, called. "Who could it be, Reyhan?" he asked his wife.

Selin led Demir out to the veranda.

"Mom, Dad, you remember Demir? He brought goodies from Ms. Firuze and Ms. Leyla. I'll get plates."

Selin's dad stood up. Demir greeted him cordially with a firm handshake after placing the bags and boxes down on the familiar table. "Hello, Semih sir," Demir said. "Welcome back to Istanbul." 

Selin's mom stood up and hugged Demir hello, and Demir smiled at the warmth of his future family. 

"Ah, hello Demir," Selin's mom said to him. "It's so nice to see you again. How are you?"

Just as Demir commented back how well both looked, Karamuk came running through the backyard, stopping short at the veranda and began barking wildly, his aggression seemingly aimed at Cinar. 

"Ahh," it took Reyhan by surprise, and she jumped slightly. Demir steadied her. Cinar seemed very uneasy, standing up and backing up toward the glass sliding door. Karamuk continued to bark. 

"Stay back mutt!" Cinar yelled at Karamuk in response.

"Okay that's enough, Karamuk," Selin's dad said. "Selin! Your dog!" 

Demir smirked to himself over Cinar, shook his head slightly and then went walking over to Karamuk with his hand out. "Hello Karamuk," he said, calming the dog down. "Have you missed me?  It's been about six months since we've last seen each other hasn't it?" he said loudly. He led Karamuk toward the area where he usually did his morning Tai Chi and chased him around playfully then led him to his bowl of food and water.