The Ploy, part 1

A/n:  Thank you for reading! This chapter is so long I decided to break it up. I wanted to mention in writing canon fanfic, there are some upcoming scenes that are written to intentionally trigger your memory of scenes from Her Yerde Sen. I didn't write them due to a lack of creativity and I'm not being lazy and just trying to copy the original. They aren't the exact same scenes but in line with scenes we all know by heart, and that's really to allow carryover of your own memory and feelings of the scene with a chance to experience it again, but slightly different through what I've written. I wish there was a fancy term to define this, but if there is, I don't know it. I've also been throwing in a dash of real life Furkan and Aybuke references just for fun. Hope you enjoy! 

Demir sat on the bed of his room in the aunts' mansion, worried about Selin and how badly she could still be handling the tequila right now. He didn't want her to wake up severely hung over, either, not when he knew she had plans for her day. 

He tried texting her. No answer. Of course.

Could he let himself in the front door and inconspicuously make his way up to the third floor and past her parents? He thought back to the last time he was in the house when her parents slept there. Hiding in the tub? Trying to slip an entire suitcase of clothes out of his room? Her father almost caught him. And what if her father fell asleep in front of the new television? Or worse, was still up watching it? No, he wasn't going to risk trying to explain why he was there, much less why he had a key.

Hadn't he seen a ladder in Muharrem bey's work van this afternoon? Muharrem and Leyla were still at the house having a late after-dinner coffee and playing card games with Firuze. 

"Muharrem," Demir said. "I have to ask a favor of you. Can I borrow your van?" After a short explanation, Demir headed over to the house in the van. 

Demir grumbled at the site of the glass window of Selin's room from the ground

Demir grumbled at the site of the glass window of Selin's room from the ground. Why had he ever put her up in that third floor room? He leaned the ladder on the side of the house, up against the chimney as quietly as he could. As he climbed the ladder, it creaked against the gutters on the second floor. A memory of catching Selin in his arms flashed through his mind. Selin with a bandana in her hair. It was black, a black bandana. No, that's not right. It was white. He was confusing it with some other memory. Catching and holding her was another moment he had to deny how difficult it felt to be so close to her even though some strange connection passed through them in the moment, he was sure of it. 

"And who will save me if I fall tonight? Not my darling because she's probably passed out," he said aloud, taunting himself, shaking his head. "Just perfect. A man can't sleep in his own bed or enter through his front door." 

From the side closest to the chimney, Demir peeked through the glass between the white window grids to be sure Selin was alone. He tried the side window first, which was closest to where he had leaned the ladder against the house, but it was evident Muharrem had locked that window when he changed the windows.