The Ploy, part 2

A/n: After Demir and Selin realizing they met each other that night when he was despondent and she had been drinking, can you see all those times Demir and Selin looked at each other (like when he caught her in his arms) differently now? As if their souls knew each other?  =)

Later that evening at the mansion...

Selin and her parents arrived for dinner at the mansion around five thirty that evening. Selin's father had enjoyed his afternoon fishing with Muharrem so much that he had stopped complaining about having to go to dinner at the aunts' mansion and instead looked forward to it. Muharrem greeted them at the door, took their coats and led them out to the pier overlooking the water. Demir had stood off in the hall behind a room screen and tall plant just to get a glimpse of Selin. She was wearing the same multi-colored party dress she wore the night he had given Mr. Muharrem permission to marry Leyla. The night Selin had kissed him and, despite what she said to the contrary, he knew all was not lost between them.

When Firuze and Leyla met everyone out back, they looked visibly confused and counted their guests.

"Welcome, welcome! Who are we missing?" Leyla asked.

"It seems Selin's date is going to have to meet us here," Reyhan said sounding annoyed.

"He's been delayed with work," Selin added with a shrug before hugging both aunts. "But he's going to be here soon, and for after dinner, he got us tickets to the opening of an art gallery here in Istanbul!"

With excitement, Leyla clasped her hands and said how wonderful that sounded for an evening out in Istanbul.

"Yes, that sounds wonderful!" Firuze agreed.

Reyhan had kept her bag and pulled out a small gift she gave to Leyla telling her it was a wedding gift from them. Leyla opened the gift to find beautifully engraved silver matching keychains for her and Muharrem. Leyla and Muharrem thanked Selin's parents profusely for the gesture.

"We have a special guest coming this evening!" Ms. Firuze said in her sing-song voice after reading a text on her phone.

"Demir?" Muharrem bey asked. "Isn't he joining us this evening?"

"No," Firuze said with a shrug toward Selin's parents. "I asked Demir to dinner, but he said he didn't want to interfere. He's off in his room reading. Can you imagine? He spends all of his time reading and researching." Firuze continued to direct her observations to Semih and Reyhan.

"Why would he be interfering?" Reyhan asked then nudged Semih with her shoulder.

Semih looked at her wondering why she did such a thing. She nodded her head to the side but gave up, expressly knowing her husband wasn't getting the hint. Speaking low, just to her husband, Reyhan reminded him, "Don't you remember what I told you about Selin's birthday party? We didn't invite him."

"And?" Semih whispered to her.

"And it was our mistake. It was an oversight; we slighted him. He's shown you so much respect. Look how he's helped us with that tv."

The doorbell rang, but before the aunts could say anything, everyone heard Demir yelling, "Don't get up, I'll get it."

Demir opened the door and greeted a fancily-dressed Azmiye. They greeted each other with a hug, but mostly so Demir could whisper in her ear. "Don't mention last night's party."

She pushed on his chest and gave him a wink. "Ut ut, Demir bey, who do you think you're talking to? The aunts and I were orchestrating matchmaking of you and Selin long before you had any involvement. I've been well informed on what tonight is all about."