Chapter 11

Back at the house...

Selin continued to try to be polite in front of Cinar but found her mind wandering to what Demir was doing. She wondered where he was and if he had seen the flowers Cinar brought. She wondered if he had kicked Cinar's car tires on his way out. 

"Selin," said Cinar, "I'd like to take you out to dinner tonight. Maybe dancing afterward."

Both of Selin's parents looked on in joy.

"Tonight? Um, I'm afraid it's not possible."

"Why?" Semih asked.

"Yes why?" Cinar echoed.

"Well...you see ... that is...I...I already have plans?" Selin said in an unconvincing way. Just then Selin's doorbell rang again. Cinar made a face showing he was annoyed at another interruption. She hopped up quickly and excused herself to run and answer the door hoping it was Demir there to save her from this horribly uncomfortable situation.

"Who is it?" she called.

"Arda," he responded.

Selin opened the door quickly and whispered, "Save me! Tell my parents we have plans to go to dinner together tonight."

Arda laughed. "Indeed, that is exactly why I'm here, on orders. I've met a couple of ladies at a pie shop who love you to death. Expect a call from them later. Just go with it."

Selin pulled Arda in through the door and hugged him before leading him out to the veranda.

"Mom, Dad....look who's here!"

Reyhan was genuinely surprised. She stood up and put her arms out. "Arda? What is this? Welcome!" Arda hugged her back.

Semih seemed less happy to see Arda. And Cinar was just horrified. Selin busied herself making Arda tea and fixing him a pastry on a plate. Reyhan insisted Arda sit.

"What brings you here, son?" Semih asked.

"I spoke with your Mom just yesterday and she never mentioned you were in Istanbul," Reyhan said.

Before answering, Arda put his hand out to Cinar and told him, "Hey, it's been a long time since we last met."

Cinar seemed confused. Arda had to further explain how they knew one another. "We used to play basketball Saturday mornings." Cinar nodded slightly and shook his hand.

"As for my mom," Arda said, "She probably isn't aware I'm here."

"Why are you here?" Selin's dad asked.

"Because..." Selin started unsure of the right story.

"Months back, when I delivered your package to Selin, I didn't have a lot of time then," Arda said.

"Yes and I was called to stay late to work..."

"I mean we had dinner together but...." Arda stumbled.

"That's right, he wanted me to show him Istanbul...." Selin added.

"But poor Selin was so busy with work...." Arda said.

"True! Very, very busy then!" Selin exaggerated the lie.

"And I didn't exactly have the time then either," Arda said.

"So he promised to come back..."

"When we both weren't as... busy," Arda said looking to Selin for confirmation.

"Yes, exactly!" she smiled. "And here we are....me out of work with plans for today," Selin said snapping her fingers.

Selin's mom looked to her questioning it all.