Chapter 6

At the hotel restaurant...

Demir had relaxed into a more easy conversation with Arda by the end of brunch. Demir had explained to Arda how he and Selin bought the same house and some of their difficulties along the way to becoming engaged. 

"I'm not sure how else to help you, but Selin is a wonderful person and if she's chosen you to be in her life, and you're telling me how much you survived together, then it tells me you're worthy of being helped," Arda assured Demir at the end of their meal.

"Thank you," Demir said staring at his coffee cup. Their first morning back together was supposed to go much differently, he thought. Demir hadn't finished their conversation about children. There were things he felt needed to be said to Selin about his childhood and his plans for the house when he first returned to Istanbul. He thought of Selin sitting at the bar stool asking about his plans.

"So how do we figure out what to do?" Arda asked.

Demir called for the check and told Arda it would be best if they went to visit his friend, Vedat. Demir drove Arda to the greenhouse and used the time to ask about Selin's family.

"They've always been kind to me. They're trusting of Selin, because they take pride in how they raised her. Selin's always had to maneuver around them so as not to disappoint them. Honestly, I was shocked when I found out she had left Sinop to live on her own, but then again it was so Selin. She's always had a certain spirit to her."

Demir concurred with Arda's description of Selin's spirit, thinking back to the day she threw the chair to break through the glass door.  He expressed concern about how they now had to again maneuver around Selin's parents but seemed to agree that they'd find a way. 

"Selin always finds a way," Arda said then added more about her parents. "Once you and Selin get things straightened out, I can only tell you that I think they're going to make wonderful grandparents. The kind who would come watch the kids for the weekend while you and Selin get away." 

Demir looked over at Arda in the passenger seat and half laughed, approving of Arda's assessment of Selin's parents as they pulled up to the greenhouse.

"Welcome brother!" Vedat said. He shook Arda's hand before hugging Demir. Demir smiled widely at Vedat. 

"Oh, what is this I see? My friend finally shows up here with happiness on his face after six months, as if the fruits on the tree have been ripened, picked and eaten." Demir laughed but told him to watch it and that he had questions about what Vedat's been reaping and sowing while he was gone.

As if on cue, Merve came out and saw Demir. "Oh Demir bey! You've returned." She greeted him with a kiss on each cheek, and in return, he reminded her to just call him Demir.

"Good to see you, Merve. You remember Selin's friend, Arda."

"Yes, welcome! How are you?"

"Good," Arda replied. 

"What's going on with Selin's message? Her parents are visiting?"

"Yes, soon. Arda came ahead of time to warn us. Apparently they are bringing along someone for her to meet."

"Oh, ho ho," Vedat said then laughed. "Demir brother is only just back and already his life and times in his house are very exciting." Vedat winked at Merve who had immediately thought of Selin, chewing the corner of her bottom lip in worry.

"Yes, keep laughing at me, Vedat. Always so supportive," Demir snapped back to him in their usual manner.

"What are you going to do?" Merve asked.

"What can we do?" Demir responded.

Merve looked thoughtful for a moment then frantic. "Demir! When did you return?"

"Just last night," he said.

"Demir, there's hardly enough food in the house for Selin to entertain her family. For the past few weeks I've been returning here at night," she said bowing her head slightly.

Demir shot a look to Vedat who only shrugged slightly in return.

"Here's what we'll do. We'll go to Happy Pie, grab some pastries and I'll deliver them to Selin," Merve insisted.

Demir looked to Vedat as if to ask if this was okay that he was stealing away his employee or girlfriend or both, whichever the case was still determined to be. "Fine with me," Vedat replied with a waving off.

"Come, let's go quickly," Merve said grabbing her purse and coat. Before leaving, she gave Vedat a quick rundown of purchase orders, deliveries, plans, appointments, and a final note about dinner.

"What was my life before you?" Vedat asked as Merve gave him a departing kiss on the cheek.

As the three of them walked away, Demir turned back and pointed a finger at Vedat as if to very clearly say, I saw that!

From the car, Merve called ahead and asked Firuze and Leyla to pack up several items and have them ready. 

Arda asked if Ayda would be at Happy Pie but Merve wasn't sure of the answer.

- - - - - - - - - - -

A/n...Can they fix this easily?

I loved how Vedat laughed at Demir. He was always so amused by the situations Demir experienced and Demir's annoyance.