Chapter 10

At Happy Pie...

Firuze, Leyla, Merve, and Arda sat around a rectangular table with fresh, hot coffee and tea. Firuze's wheels were spinning about how to pull off a successful rescue mission for the young lovers she took such pride in bringing together. Aphrodisiac candy they had made, a red dress they had bought, paying to have the electric cut, dinner at their house--all of these efforts of their part were not going to go to waste. 

Merve sipped her tea with a quiet excitement, awaiting an idea to come to Firuze's mind.

"So... " Firuze began sternly to Arda, "You say that you are familiar with Selin's family." She tapped her nails on the table letting everyone know how seriously she took this matter.

"Yes, Selin and I went to school together years ago, but our families remain somewhat close, it's mostly our moms who are friends."

"Uh huh," said Firuze, still tapping her nails as she processed the information.

"What can be done?" asked Leyla with a worried expression looking to her sister. "Perhaps in this case, honesty really is the best policy."

"How will we save Selin?" Merve asked nervously.

Demir entered Happy Pie, saw his crew and took a seat at the table. Leyla tried to fuss over him having coffee and pie, but Demir declined. After seeing the situation with his own eyes, he was ready to hear any plan and willing to do anything to end this nightmare.

"Arda, this is the joker her family picked for her? This salak?" Demir said, shaking his head in disbelief and disapproval. 

"What was he like?" asked Merve. "Tell us, tell us!"

Demir went on to describe Cinar as a spineless prick and someone Selin would never go for in a million years.

"Allah, Allah! Is that who her parents really want to see her with? They would have had more sense to have chosen you for her," Demir ranted, looking at Arda.

Arda laughed. "Thank you for the compliment, Demir. I think."

"My bad, Arda, I didn't mean that to sound offensive. Do you know this Cinar?"

"No offense taken. Unfortunately I've known him in the past to be a bit of a weasel as a young boy, prior to the time he spent living away in Germany. Since then, I can't say, but he has done well for himself in his chosen profession."

"Well haven't we all," Demir said with pettiness. 

Arda nodded and chuckled at Demir's reaction. His energy seemed to match the fire he knew his old friend Selin to have. He was getting an even better sense as to why Demir and Selin were together.

"Firuze, you haven't said anything," Leyla said.

Demir continued to fume. "Clearly, he's all wrong for her. I don't know why her parents can't see that!"

With a glint in her eye, Firuze circled her index finger, pointing around the table.

"That's it!" Firuze exclaimed. "Listen carefully. What we need to do is convince Selin's parents that Demir is exactly right for her."

"Oh, you are, dearest Demir! You're what they like to call the one!" Leyla reassured Demir reaching across the table and patting his hand. Demir smiled at Leyla and thanked her for her confidence.

Firuze continued. "Now then, you must all understand that in order to ship our couple, these are delicate waters to be navigated. Selin's father--ahhh, we've all met him. He is a proud man." Arda laughed in agreement. "Not one of us can simply tell Semih and Reyhan that Demir is right for their daughter, they need to realize it themselves. This revelation is going to need a little help though, that's where we'll come in."

Leyla was overjoyed with the idea. With a clasping of her hands she chimed in an excited, "Yes!"

Merve smiled widely, moving her shoulders and waggling her eyebrows as she danced in her seat with enjoyment.

Demir wasn't quite convinced. "This can be done? How?"

"My dear boy, in the same manner as you've already done," Firuze said. Demir was confounded by her words. 

Everyone looked to Firuze for clarification.  Firuze seemed a little impatient that they weren't following along. "You remember," she tried to remind them but only saw confusion on their faces. "The night Selin was left with no suitor at the restaurant, who just happened to be there to step in?"

"Demir," Leyla smiled with a sigh.

"Who was there to take her home that night?" Firuze pressed.

"Demir," Merve said with certainty and a nodding of her head.

"And just who was her knight in shining armor?" Firuze asked standing up and putting her fist in the air dramatically.

"Me, damn it!" Demir expressed loudly, pounding his fist on the table.

Arda tried to follow along, looking to Merve for explanation. Merve cleared her throat at the memory. She shook her head gently and squinted her eyes as if to say, "Don't ask." Arda covered his mouth to stifle a laugh.

Demir remembered his protective instincts that night, how much he wanted to find the man he thought had stood Selin up and make him pay for hurting her.

"Arda," Firuze addressed him firmly. "Are you willing to play along?" He considered the looks he was receiving. Everyone looked at him expectantly.

"It seems.... I have no choice?" he responded.

Sitting next to him, Merve leaned toward him and patted his arm in an effort to tell him, you've got this! "I know you can do it," she told him.

"Good, then you must go now to Selin. Interrupt whatever is going on there and tell her family you have plans for tonight with her. Don't take no for an answer. And don't leave until we've called there. Hurry! Hurry! Go now!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/n.... thanks for reading. :) Do you see where this is going?