Chapter 1

The stillness of the room was overwhelmingly peaceful.  Demir welcomed the feeling.  He was back to his familiar surroundings of muted, slate blue walls and Japanese-themed hangings adorning his walls. For the first time, being in this house felt completely perfect. The night before they left was so busy with packing and listening to Selin's rantings going back and forth from excitement to worries that he didn't have the chance to take in his new world the way he was now in this moment.

He stared over at the poster on his wall above the chair and smiled at the memory of Selin pestering him about the actress he had met in Japan. The priceless look on her face when Demir introduced Selin not only to the actress but also to her husband when they visited. Of course, then it took time to convince Selin that he hadn't done something indecent with the married actress. He laughed internally at where her crazy thoughts go. True, he might have led her to believe something differently that evening they spent working and eating in the office of Artemim, but he admitted to himself that he was trying to keep her interest in him that night. He had feared at any moment she would run off that evening, and he was in no way prepared to let her out of his sight, especially with her ex-school friend in town. The truth was, the actress' husband was one of his business associates when he lived in Japan who had sent him an invitation to the premiere party. Nothing more.

He heaved a heavy sigh that he was waking up with Selin in his arms, in this room, in his childhood home. It wasn't the first time but it was definitely the most satisfying. The love he had for Selin, and the love she returned to him, overflowed into every surviving open wound incurred in this house-- filling, soothing and healing.

"Demir," Selin whispered sleepily, her head against his bare chest.

Demir smiled knowing his Wendy was talking in her sleep again--another cute bonus to Selin's charm and a benefit to sleeping with her. 

"Yes, sweetheart?" His eyes twinkled, ready to be amused by her dreamy musings.

"I really want a koala," she pleaded sleepily.

Demir smiled knowing what she would say next. This had been her constant request since their stop in Australia. As she said the words, he mouthed the same words too with a tilting back and forth of his head with each of her arguments.

"They're very cute. And cuddly. And snuggly," she continued hazily in her sweet voice.

"Yes, yes," he cooed. "We agreed, Wendy, we had to leave them in Australia." Of all the places they visited on their trip, their second stop in Australia was the place Selin liked best. He had hoped that Selin's favorite stop would be Japan, like him, but Selin was who she was. And what drew her to places was not always the same that appealed to him, that was, until he experienced it all with her and through her eyes. 

Demir gently stroked her loose waves of hair softly and felt her breathing change just enough that he knew she had drifted soundly back to sleep.

He picked up his phone to check the time. They had only gotten in at 1 am and now it was already 8 am. Basking in how good it felt to hold Selin tightly in his arms, Demir abandoned all thoughts of getting up to do Tai Chi or make coffee.