Chapter 1

It went to show that there were do-overs, there were second chances, and there were ways to fix the unfixable. If you accomplished something once, why not do it again? ( Psychotic )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Flight 386 is now boarding Flight 386 is now boarding" The lady over the intercom announces.

" Thats you sweetie..." my dad says turning to me with a sad look in his eyes. I don't answer him, I just grab my things and start making my way to the gate. I hear my dad get up from his chair and rush to get to me. " Remember your exchange mothers name is Anne Cox and she will be picking you up at the gate..." I continue walking not even looking over at him. He steps in front of me, stopping me in my tracks. " December Young, I know you are mad but this is best for you " he says looking into my eyes.

I snort, " best for me? if you knew what was best for me you wouldn't be making me do this. " I bite back at him. " I'm making you do this because I love you, " he retorts. " Then don't love me and let me stay. " I tell him. " Not happening " he says.

" Last call for flight 386, last call for flight 386 " The lady over the intercom announces.

My father embraces me into a hug and kisses the top of my head. Even though I am mad at him I weakly wrap my arms around him. " I love you " he says. " I love you too." I say back while letting go of him and walking through the gate." Enjoy your flight " the lady at the desk tells me while handing me back my plane ticket. I don't answer her, I just grab my plane ticket and walk to the plane.

I make my way down the planes alise to reach my seat. I really hope no one sits next to me I think as I sit down in my seat.As the plane starts to take off, I put my headphones in and start listening to the 1975. I look out the planes window and start to remember everything that's happened this past summer. I remember waking up in the hospital with a bunch of ivs hooked up to me.

I sat up quickly unsure of what was going on. " Dad " my voice choked out. My throat burned but I tried again. " dad! " I kinda yelled, I looked all around the room to see if i could find him but I couldn't. I removed the blanket that was on me to try and get up. That's when I noticed the cuts and bruises on my legs. I get up from the bed and struggle to walk to the door. I turn the door handle and limp out of the room and into the hallway.

" Miss " I hear from my right. I turn to the nurse that's approaching me. " Miss you shouldn't be out of bed. lets get you back to your room." the nurse says as she tries to get me back to bed. " Please, can you tell me why I'm here or where my dad is?" I question her, tears starting to form in my eyes. " Ember! " I hear behind Me. I turn around to see my dad rush over to me. " Ember, sweetie, why are you out of bed? " he asks. " Dad " I choke out in between tears. He embraces me into a hug and leads me into the hospital room. " the doctor will be in shortly " I barely hear the nurse say. as soon as I hear the door close i break down crying. I don't know why I just do.

" Its okay sweetie its okay " I hear my dad say as I sob into his shoulder. After about 5 minutes I finally calm down. " dad, whats going on? why am I here? " I ask him. he looks at me with sad eyes, " Do you not remember anything? " he asks me. " Remember what?! " I practically yell at him. " sweetie you got into a car accident about two nights ago" he says to me. I sit down on the bed trying to process what he just told me. " Katie was in the car also. " he adds a short while after. my head shoots up at her name, " Katie? " I ask unsure if he really said her name. " Yes Katie " he confirms. " is she okay? " I choke out, not knowing what I would do if something happened to her. My dad looks at me with sad eyes and then looks down. " She ... um .... didn't make it" he finally says. I collapse to the floor in tears. How did this happen to Katie, she was a good person, she didn't deserve this. Oh my god what would I do with out her. She was my best friend, she was the reason I could smile after my mom died when I was 5. Shes never left my side, we did everything together. She was my other half. And now shes gone.

After about what seems forever I calm down to point where I'm just sniffling. My dad and I sit in silence until the doctor comes in. " December Young? " he asks making sure he has the right room. I nod my head and he enters the room fully. " I bet you're wondering whats going on, right? " Dr. Matthews, as his name tag says, asks. I just nod my head, not wanting to speak. " As your father already told you, you and miss..." he trails off looking through his papers " and miss Katie Sanders were in a car accident. " he finishes. I nod my head. " Well then since it was a rainy night and Katie was driving I presume she didn't see the red light and went into incoming traffic. Another car hit you guys from the drivers side. Katie died on impact and you had a few broken bones and bruises. " A few more tears fall as I start to remember that night. " so I've been out for two days? " I ask. " yes, do you remember anything? " Dr. Matthews asks. " a little bit but its still hazy " I answer him. " it'll come to you sooner or later" he says with a sympathetic smile. I just nod and look away and with that he leaves.

I remember that night now. I remember the beginning of summer bash we went to after our junior year/ before our senior year of high school. Katie had taken a few drinks but insisted that she drive. I knew I shouldn't have let her, but I did. I regret doing so. That night haunts me every day and is the reason for my sleepless nights. Its also the reason why I'm being shipped off to Holmes Chapel in an exchange program because my dad thinks I need a change in scenery. It wont work, nothing has. Yet.

******************************************************************************************

VOTE&COMMENT