Chapter 13

Cassidy's P.O.V.

Warren had been so gentle with me up until we walked into our room. Once we were there, he grabbed my arm and pulled me close so my face was inches away from his.

"What the hell were you thinking, Cassidy?" He said, his eyebrows furrowed

"I-I just didn't want Peter to get hurt" I stuttered, trying to explain myself

I was a little scared of Warren in this moment. I had never seen him be this aggressive towards me since the time I touched his wings at the warehouse back in East Berlin.

"I understand, but that doesn't mean you can just throw yourself at anything to protect your friends. They wouldn't even think twice about saving themselves before you." Warren said 

"But, Peter-" I started

"Peter, should have had it under control. He has superspeed, for God's sakes. I can't believe that you would even think about risking your life for that prick" He scoffed, cutting me off

"Ok. Fine. I'm sorry that I don't want the same thing that happened to my Mom to happen to my friends" I snapped

As soon as I realized what I had said, I covered my mouth and tears began to stream down my face. I had never told anyone about my Mom before. The only other person besides me who knew what happened to her was Uncle X. No one had even heard me mention her in years.

I quickly sprinted out of my room, Warren not too far behind me. I ran to the only place that I had ever found comfort in - the roof.

Once I made it up, I locked the door behind me so Warren couldn't come after me. I took a deep breath of fresh air and made my way over to the ledge, sitting down and letting my feet dangle over the edge. My Mom and I always used to come here and sit in this exact position. We would look at the clouds and she would tell me stories about how the clouds were her gift to me and that someday when I grew up, I would have someone else to share the clouds with besides her. Now I know that she was wrong. I've been all alone without her for so many years. I guess, somewhere along the way I just gave up hope that someday I'd meet someone who could share this special spot with me. I buried my face in my hands and tried to stop the tears but it was no use.

After a few minutes of me silently looking at the clouds with tears in my eyes, I felt a slight breeze. I shut my eyes tight and hoped that it was just the wind and not the certain person I didn't want up here. Unfortunately, when I opened my eyes Warren was right in front of me, his metal wings flapping in the wind.

He gestured towards the spot next to me on the ledge, asking my permission to sit. Even though all I wanted was to be alone, for some reason his presence was calming me down a bit. I nodded my head hesitantly and he landed next to me. For a few minutes we both just sat in silence, trying to find the right words to say.

Finally, Warren spoke first "Cassidy, please, you can trust me with anything."

"I-it's fine, nothing happened," I said, not wanting to burden him with my problems

"From what I've seen, you listen to everyone else and help them with whatever they need. Now, it's your turn. I'm here for you." He said, inching closer

I couldn't believe that I was finally going to tell someone what happened to my Mom. Especially Warren. I didn't want to ruin whatever was going on between us. But he seemed so sincere and genuine, I just had to take a chance.

"What happened to your Mom?" He asked softly

"She was Professor X's sister. Unlike him, she was born completely normal - human. She was one of the undercover agents until she had me. She never really told me the story about my Dad or what happened to him. All I know is that he wasn't in the picture. One day, she was sent on a mission with the X-men, but something went wrong. One of the agents went rogue and attacked her. He must have been one of our enemy's operatives. The X-Men managed to make it out alive, but they left my Mom behind in the process. There was no hope for her surviving without any powers. No one really knows what happened to her after that. Uncle X said that the enemy probably got her and took her in for questioning. A few months later, they did a scan and found her body tossed in the river in enemy territory. Ever since then, I've always promised myself that my friends come first, and that no one will ever be left behind if I have any say in it".

Throughout the story, Warren had a sympathetic look. After I finished, he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close to him. My head was resting on his chest and I could feel his steady heartbeat while his chest was rising and falling with every breath.

"How long ago did she..." Warren trailed off, not wanting to upset me more

"6 years ago" I whispered back

"Is that why you were so insistent on taking me back here with you when we were in Germany?" he asked

I just nodded and he put his hand tenderly on my head.

"I promise, I'll always keep you safe, Cassidy. Nothing will ever happen to you as long as you have me" He said as he gently ran his fingers through my hair

"Warren?" I whispered

He hummed in response

"Why do you care about me so much?" I asked

"Because you're an angel," He said softly "My angel"

I smiled and nuzzled into his chest. My sadness now tenderness and joy. I looked up at him and smiled, not wanting this moment to end.

"I would do anything to hold you in my arms every day. You're my light, and I can't get enough of you. I don't know what I'd do if anything ever happened to you" He said, looking into my eyes

We slowly moved closer to each other until our lips were touching. It wasn't like what I thought a kiss with Warren would be like. Instead of being rough, it was soft and tender. It was almost like he was afraid that one wrong move would break me. Soon, the kiss was over and I already missed the sensation of Warren's lips on mine

"Cassidy, will you be mine?" Warren asked, cupping my cheek

I smiled and leaned into his touch, "Yes, of course"

We stayed on the roof for a while longer, watching the clouds drift around the sky. We even watched the sunset together as the night sky began peeking out, a few stars starting to shine here and there. I was starting to get sleepy and Warren probably noticed. He picked me up bridal style and I leaned my head against his chest. I was so happy that Warren and I were finally together. I could never deny my feelings for him and to finally be able to accept them felt like the biggest rush of relief and freedom. I was just hoping I could reveal my new boyfriend to the group without too much chaos. Sure, Peter wouldn't be happy about it. But if he really cared about me, he would accept my relationship with Warren and move on.

I tried to keep my eyes open, but my eyelids were getting heavier by the minute.

"Don't worry, angel. I've got you" Warren whispered

With that, I let my eyes close and snuggled into Warren, his warmth comforting me.

A/N:

I hope that you guys enjoyed Chapter 13 of Archangel! I feel so lucky to have such amazing readers. Thank you so much for voting on my chapters. It really means a lot to me to know that you guys like my story. Have a great day : )

- edited 5/25/20 -