Chapter 25

I opened my eyes and took in the dark room around me. Normally, when I wake up there's a little bit of sun shining through the window but it still looked dark outside. I had never woken up this early before and judging by how tired I was the night prior, I decided to try and go back to sleep. I sat up and looked over at the clock to see that it was barely 5 AM. I felt Warren's hold on me tighten, but when I looked down at him, he was still asleep. He looked so peaceful and I didn't want to wake him. Luckily, his busted lip had stopped bleeding but it still looked bad enough and it also probably hurt a lot. I laid back down and tried to get comfortable again. After all, there was no real reason to be up so early...so why couldn't I go back to sleep? Warren shifted a bit, a few strands of hair falling in front of his face as he did so. I smiled and moved a bit so I could face him. I gently ran my hands through his hair, trying not to wake him. Warren hummed in response and scooted down so that his head was under my chin. I was worried that I had woken him up, but his breathing was steady and he still hadn't opened his eyes so I figured it was fine. I kept one hand in his hair while I carefully trailed the other down his back to where his wings were. I gently traced around the metal, making sure not to cut myself in the process. Warren leaned into me more and groaned sleepily.

"Angel" he whispered, his voice groggy "You're driving me crazy"

"Do you want me to stop?" I asked, untangling my hands from his hair

"No, don't," He said taking my hand and placing it back in his hair "Keep going"

I knew that Warren was definitely awake now. He trailed his hand to my leg and lifted it up onto his, so that they were intertwined. He seemed so comfortable as I gently massaged his head and moved down to his neck.

Warren always seemed tense and on-edge, so when it was just the two of us I always wanted him to feel as relaxed as possible. It seemed like it was working.

That is, until my phone rang. The sound of my phone vibrating startled us both, forcing us to sit up quickly. Warren's metal wings tensed and reared back. We had both been so relaxed that the sudden noise scared us more than it should have.

Once Warren realized it was just my phone, he shook his head in annoyance, "I swear to God, if that's Peter-"

I chuckled at his grumpiness. Seeing Uncle X's name flashing on the screen, I quickly got out of bed and held the phone up to my ear.

"Hello?" I answered the call

Uncle X had never called me that early before since he knew I would be asleep. Whatever he needs, it must be important.

"Cassidy, an emergency mission came up. I need the whole team to get to my office as soon as they can. Send everyone a message and then get down here." Uncle X hurriedly explained

"I will. See you soon" I said, ending the call

Warren noticed the serious expression on my face and stood up. "What's wrong?" He asked, taking a step towards me

"The whole team needs to get to Uncle X's office ASAP. There's an emergency mission" I explained while simultaneously texting the group chat.

"Did Professor X say what's happening?" Warren furrowed his brows

I shook my head as I made my way to the closet and put my suit on, "All I know is we need to get ready to go, quick"

Warren nodded as I headed into the bathroom to get changed. I knew that everyone else was most likely asleep so I just hoped the sound of the notification for my text would wake them up. My mind was kept thinking back to the mission Uncle X was talking about. He barely gave me any details, and all I know is that it has to be important or else Uncle X would have waited till morning.