Chapter 21

Cassidy's P.O.V.

I stared wide-eyed at the shards of metal from Warren's wings lying in the sand, inches away from Peter. I knew that this was bound to happen at some point - Peter was going to say something and Warren was going to snap. I know that it was wrong for Warren to elbow Peter but he should have just stopped and calmed down. Now, Warren flew off who knows where because of what Peter said. His expression just before he flew off got stuck in my head. It wasn't even one of anger, just sadness and regret. I knew it was because what Peter said had hit a nerve. I just couldn't understand why Peter wouldn't let it go. I was really worried about Warren and all I wanted to do was make sure he was ok. As far as I knew, he had nowhere else to go except for the X-Mansion, so I was sure he would be back there. I wasn't mad at him for what he did. His anger got the better of him and I couldn't blame him.

We gathered our stuff and began heading back to the X-Mansion. The walk back was completely silent with no one knowing the right thing to say. Scott and Kurt took Peter to get his black eye and broken nose looked at in the medical wing while the rest of us went to change. I rushed to my room to check if Warren was there. To my dismay, he was nowhere to be found, so I quickly changed out of my beach outfit and into a t-shirt and leggings. I had to talk to him.

I searched all over the school but still couldn't find Warren. It had been about an hour since I had last seen him and I was growing more concerned by the second. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down, hoping that he was ok wherever he was. I was about ready to give up my search when Jean's voice through in my head

"He's on the roof," she said

"Thanks, Jean" I quickly responded before dashing out of the common area

Once I was out of the way of the students, I sprinted up the stairs to the roof. When I finally made it up there, I saw Warren sitting in the same spot where he and I had our first kiss. He had empty bottles of alcohol surrounding him and his head was hung low. The last time Warren drank alcohol, he ruined my Mom's picture, and I didn't want anything like that to happen again.

"Warren," I said softly, attempting to get his attention without startling him

He turned around, his eyes glossy when they landed on me. It almost looked as though he had been crying. His expression then turned stone-cold and he turned away from me.

"Please, talk to me," I pleaded, making my way over to where he was seated

"Piss off," He said coldly

"Warren I just-"

"BACK OFF CASSIDY" He yelled as he threw one of the empty bottles at me

I jumped aside just as it hit the spot next to the wall, right where I had been standing. That took me back to the warehouse in East Berlin. He had been so cold to me then, but this time was different. I felt tears forming in my eyes and I quickly turned around and left the roof before he could see me cry. He had such an effect on me. All I wanted was to tell him everything was ok and make him feel better. I didn't know why he was pushing me away, but it made me feel awful.

I rushed to my room and buried my face in the pillows. I finally let the tears spill and started to cry with no hesitation. Warren and I had finally gotten close and I didn't know what I'd do without him. He had helped me through some rough times, so I just couldn't understand why he wouldn't let me help him.

That night, Warren didn't come back. I was really hoping he would so we could talk some things out, but he never did. I didn't feel like eating dinner or talking to anyone, so I just stayed in my room until I finally got tired enough to fall asleep. The group had been texting me, asking where I was, but I decided it would be best to just not respond. They would see me the next day at training anyway.