Chapter 18

Cassidy's P.O.V.

It was another day of training and I was looking forward to what Mystique and Wolverine had planned for us. However, I wasn't expecting Uncle X to be there as well. When we all lined up in front of him, he noticed me standing beside Warren and gave me a little smile.

"Hello, everyone. I'm just here today to monitor your progress and see how you are all coming along in your training. Today, you'll be going on a simulated mission as a whole group." Uncle X explained. "Remember that this is just a simulation and can be stopped at any time if things get a little too out of hand. Look out for your team members and your mission will be successful."

I was really excited. This was the first time Uncle X would be able to see me in action. I had been rapidly improving and I wanted to prove that he made the right decision by letting me join the X-Men. The arena slowly started to transform into a city scene. I saw that up at the top of the highest building there was a gemstone.

"Your goal is to retrieve the gemstone while fighting off your enemies. Good luck!" Uncle X finished as he made his way to the monitoring room where he could watch us safely.

"Gemstone?" Jubilee asked

"What is he talking about?" Peter seemed confused as well

"Look up there," I said as I pointed to the highest building "See that shiny thing reflecting in the light? That must be the gemstone"

Everyone looked up at where I was pointing and nodded.

"So, what's the plan?" Scott asked as we huddled around

"I say we-"

Before Jean could continue, a large group of training robots came out of nowhere.

"Everyone, grab the partner closest to you and split up!" I yelled

The whole team followed my directions and we headed off to fight the robots. Jean was closest to me so we worked together. Once we had shut down one of the robots, I looked over to see that Kurt was fighting alone.

"Go find the others. I'll help Kurt" I told Jean

She nodded and rushed off to find the rest of the team. Kurt was using all his energy teleporting in order to dodge the robot's attacks, but at the rate he was going, he would never defeat them alone.

"Kurt, you keep distracting the robot. I'll shut it down"

Kurt nodded and kept teleporting around. I got a running start and jumped onto the robot's back. I pried open its control circuit and hit the flashing red power button, shutting its system down.

"T-thank you, Cassidy" Kurt stuttered, still a little shocked

"No problem" I nodded at him "Let's find the others"

"Here, hold onto me. I'll teleport us there" Kurt said, extending his hand out to me

I gladly took it and closed my eyes. I felt a whirring sensation and when I opened my eyes we were on top of a building where the rest of the X-men were still fighting off the remaining few robots.

"Guys, we have to get the gem, remember!" Jubilee said

"I've got an idea," Scott said, still blasting at the robot with his laser vision "Cassidy, you and Warren fly up to the building and get the gem while the rest of us stay here and fight off these last few suckers"

"How on Earth are they going to get enough momentum to get up there?" Peter asked, pressing his lips into a thin line "She would be better off going with me"