D17-Baking

Continuation of If Only

"Why are we doing this today?" Damian questioned.

"Cookies are best on rainy days." Marinette answered, but his face told her he didn't believe her. "You also get to pick the movie?" she suggested.

"Fine." he replied, "What are we making?"

"I'm teaching you to make chocolate chip cookies." Mari spoke, earning her a nod, "Okay. Can you start grabbing the ingredients listed on the recipe? I'll grab the equipment we need."

Damian looked at the recipe and grabbed the sugar and other items from the pantry.

"Did I get it all?"

Marinette looked over as she set down the cookie sheet and nodded.

"Okay so, first thing! Clean hands. Wash up." she said, pointing to her sink. Damian rolled his eyes, but washed his hand. She followed suit.

"Now, let's separate the ingredients by wet and dry." Mari stated.

"Wet and dry?" he asked.

"Liquids and powder?" she suggested.

He merely nodded and set about the task he was given.

"So in one mixing bowl, we'll add the dry ingredients, according to the recipe." Mari said taking a seat on the other side of the counter.

"You're not helping?" Dami asked.

" I'm instructing. I did say I would teach you." she smiled.

'Damn, I need to get this right.' he thought.

"As if reading his mind, don't worry Dami. It doesn't have to be perfect. You're learning. Practice makes perfect." Marinette reassured him, "Would you prefer if I read the recipe to you?"

Damian sighed, but answered, "I don't want to burn down your kitchen. Alfred doesn't allow us in the kitchen. Actual, I don't think Father is allowed in either."

With a small giggle she answered, "Damian, I grew up in a bakery. Eventually something does catch fire and I can tell you that story while the cookies bake, but I know what to do in case if that does happens. I made sure my oven was clean to prevent accidents. Okay?"

Marinette reached out and grabbed his hand, "Who knows, maybe, with enough practice, you can make some of these for Alfred as a surprise and a thank you." Damian nodded.

 (THIS IS AN ACTUAL RECIPE BUT I COULDN'T POST THE LINK)

"First, we need to preheat the oven. To do that, there is a dial on the oven. You want to turn it to 375. It's best to warm up the oven before cooking anything in it." Marinette stated.

"Next, you need to combine the dry ingredients. So you need to put 2 and 1/4 cups of flour in the bowl first. That's what the small cups and spoons are for."

Damian picked up the biggest cup and saw it read 1 cup. He showed it to her. She nodded.

"Scoop up flour in that twice, but before you add it to the bowl, use the back of the butter knife and scrape off the extra bit off the top. You want to be exact." Mari spoke.

Damian got a scoop of flour and saw the miniature mountain left on top. He grabbed the knife and swiped it expertly off the cup.

"Good. Now put that in the bowl and do it once more." she smiled, "Okay, that was 2 cups, but the recipe called for 2 and 1/4 cups." guiding him a bit.

He looked back to the cups and saw 1/4 on it and repeated what he had previously done.

"Next 1 teaspoon of baking soda." she said as she pulled the container of flour off to the side.