31~The Jewel

The magician sprinted towards the main entrance while he hastily looked around his surroundings. He walked towards the back of Shinichi's house and entered the window to the library. 

He gazed upon the stunned detective as he hurriedly covered all the windows with its drapery.  

Shinichi gestured Kaito to lay down while he checked if the magician has any injuries. 

~ Shinichi's POV ~ 

" What on earth happened? " I looked at the magician with uncertainty and fear. 

" They..almost.saw me. The two men in black..who works for the organization. " He explained while breathing heavily. 

The shock on his face was prominent, with his sweat falling down from his forehead. 

" Okay, calm down. Tell me everything from the very beginning. "  

I listened to him with intent while I frequently looked at a nearby window that wasn't covered. 

" I see..so you found this jewel near the body. " I nodded to myself, examining the jewel closely with fascination. 

( This jewel is different from the others. It has a very peculiar color and it shines ominously.. ) 

" Do you know what jewel this is, Kaito? " I questioned him while I held the jewel high in the air. 

" No...I haven't seen anything like it. " Kaito replied blandly as he snatched the jewel from my hands and examined it himself. 

" I wonder why they went back to the crime scene.. " The magician continued. 

" It is most likely that they want to get rid of some evidence. However, there wasn't any evidence that can expose them..only a witness that saw the two men walking out of the crime scene. " I deduced while I checked the details about the investigation one more time. 

" Maybe they were looking for this jewel. " Kaito mentioned nonchalantly as an idea popped out of my head. 

" I think I won't report this to the station just yet.. " I muttered to myself as the magician looked at me with disbelief. 

" I thought you're a good and honest detective, Shinichi. " He teased playfully. 

" It's best to keep this between the two of us. We just need to figure out why they want to get this jewel and why it is so special to them. " I stated with a serious tone. 

" Hey, let me handle with researching about the jewel. " The magician suggested with a wide grin on his face. 

I raised my eyebrows as I stared at him with suspicion and doubt. 

" Come on, I'm an expert when it comes to...valuable treasures. " He said with a cheeky grin. 

" Fine, just don't break it and make sure not to lose it. " I reminded him with a serious expression on my face. 

Kaito reassured me in a carefree manner as I thought to myself that I made a terrible mistake, making him research and take care of the jewel. 

( Ah geez...this is really a bad idea but we really need to know about that jewel. ) 

" I think I'll be heading off now, there are still a lot of things I need to do..especially with my precious doves. " The magician said cheerfully as he dramatically jumped out of the window. 

I silently rolled my eyes before I attempted to research about the jewel myself. 

( I wonder... ) 

~ Kaito's POV ~ 

" Aahhh, finally I'm done with most of my work. It's time to check some information. " I said to myself with enthusiasm, laying down on my bed while holding the jewel tightly. 

( This jewel must be really rare and valuable for the organization to be so desperate about it. ) 

" I shouldn't be thinking about this too much, I'm sure that Shinichi will figure it out. " I nodded to myself before I gazed at the jewel once more. 

" It really is pretty..too bad I can't have it, since it would be a very bad idea to steal it and make Shinichi very angry.. "  

( I hope it isn't what I'm thinking right now but..I feel that this jewel isn't any normal item that a wealthy person can get..What's their motive...? Why did they kill someone just to get this jewel?) 

" Aghh! So many questions... "  

I sighed deeply as the jewel continued to glow in an ethereal way that can make anyone be captivated by it.