FOUR

~at the barrens~

"That's poison ivy, and that's poison ivy and that's poison ivy," Stan said, pointing at a bunch of plants.

"Where? Where's the poison ivy?" Eddie panicked, looking around. You laughed. "Dude, there's no poison ivy."

"Yeah, not every fucking plant is poison ivy, Stanley," Richie added.

"Okay, well, I'm starting to get itchy now and I'm pretty sure this isn't-"

Richie cut Eddie off. "Do you use the same bathroom as your mother?"

"Sometimes, yeah."

"Then you probably have crabs."

"That is so not funny."

You were about to follow Richie and Bill into the sewer but Eddie grabbed your hand to stop you. Eddie stared down at your entwined fingers and you blushed. His face turned red and he quickly let go. "S-sorry. It's greywater."

"Ohh, ew." You scrunched your face up in disgust.

"Aren't you guys coming in?" Richie asked.

"Nuh-uh. That's greywater." Eddie replied, shaking his head.

"What the hell is greywater?"

"It's basically-" Eddie inhaled deeply, obviously pissed off. "-piss and shit so I'm just telling you, you guys are slashing around in millions of gallons of Derry pee."

Richie started sniffing a stick he had dunked in the greywater. Eddie made a disgusted face. "What are you- are you serious what-"

"Doesn't smell like caca to me, senõr!" Richie said in a growl.

"I- okay, I can smell that from here!"

"Probably just your breath, wafting back into your face."

"Have you ever heard of a staph infection?"

"Oh, I'll show you a staph infection."

Eddie began rambling about how unsanitary this was, not noticing Richie about to fling a garbage bag at him.

"What are you- nOOOOOOO!"

You laughed as the wet bag hit Eddie's legs and he pouted. "Aw, don't pout, Ed's."

"I'm not pouting!" He whined, pouting even more. Then he turned to Richie and started yelling at him. "Are you retarded?! I mean, you're the reason we're in the position right now-"

"Guys!" Bill shouted. He held his flashlight to a shoe in his hand. Stan's eyes widened. "Shit, don't tell me that's..."

"N-no... G-Georgie wore galoshes."

"Then... then who's sneaker is it?" You asked. 

Bill shined the flashlight at a label on the shoe. Richie turned to us. "It's Betty Ripsom's."

"Oh, shit." Eddie started breathing heavily. "Oh, fuck, I don't like this."

"How do you think Betty feels? Running around these tunnels with only one frickin' shoe?" Richie joked. You all stared at him as if he was that one kid at the end of class who asked about homework if the teacher forgot.

"What if she's still here?" Stan asked. Bill and Richie started walking further into the sewer. "Eddie, (Y/n), come on!"

"My mom will have an aneurysm is she finds out we're playing down here, I'm serious!" Eddie said. "Bill?"

"I-if I was Betty Ripsom... I would want us to find her." There was a long silence. "G-Georgie, too."

"What if I don't wanna find them?" Eddie looked down and the losers stared at him. "I mean, no offense, Bill, but I don't wanna end up like G-" He cut himself off. "I don't wanna go missing, either."

"He has a point." Stan agreed.

"Maybe we shouldn't have to do this." You added in tentatively. Bill looked betrayed. "Y-You, too?"

"It's summer!" Stan yelled. "We're supposed to be having fun! This isn't fun. This is scary and disgusting."

Suddenly, you all heard a loud splash. You whipped around and saw a slightly overweight boy covered in blood and bruises.

"Holy shiiiit, what happened to you?" Richie asked. The boy didn't answer and just looked down into the water.