Chapter Twelve

DANI

"I thought you said this was a little thing?" Harry asks as we walk through the entrance to the festival.

"I meant little as in a relative term. Darla's been planning this festival for well over a decade now, and she is very connected and very convincing. A lot of local businesses donate their time or food or services to help raise money." I answer him as I lead him through the crowd, hands intertwined lazily.

"So how much does this usually rake in for the charity?"

I hum, "I think last year we broke the record with fifty grand?"

"Woah, really? That's amazing. You said this is the fifteenth year?"

The crowd was quite thick already for only being open for two hours. I was a little surprised considering how cold it was today. Normally we still have a bit of sun around this time of year, but for the past week it's been overcast and frigid. There was even a chance of snow in a few weeks, which was practically unheard of this time of year for us.

Harry and I were bundled up in our winter jackets and boots. I had slipped on some thermal leggings underneath my jeans to keep me warm unlike Harry who only had a pair of his regular skinny jeans with holes in the knees. I knew he would be freezing by the time we were done here, wondering if maybe he would be okay with heading straight home and enjoying a warm bath instead of going out to another Halloween party.

"Yeah, it used to be pretty small, but it's grown every year." I answer him, tugging him closer to me while the wind picks up.

"I just can't believe I've never heard of this. I grew up like twenty minutes away."

I give him a look, "Harry, you grew up on the north side. No offense, but this really isn't your scene."

I feel his eyes staring at me, nearly tripping over a toddler. After apologizing profusely to his mother he asks me, "What do you mean?"

I sigh, "Maybe I'm wrong, but everyone I went to school with from that area looked down at us. I'm not saying you do that, because you really don't. It's actually quite amazing how nonjudgmental you are, but the people I grew up with were more along the lines of your dad."

He was quiet for a moment, "They're not all so bad, you know..."

I glance over to see an uncomfortable look on his face, so I stop in my tracks and turn him towards me. "I know they're not. I'm not explaining this right... I don't mean to be annoyingly righteous or judgmental myself, but this isn't the type of charity that people with a lot of money usually attend. This isn't some gala or auction that you can dress up for. I used to work for a catering company my senior year of high school, and while I've seen some really great fundraisers and stuff that are put on in the north side I've always felt like the majority of people don't like to actually know the people they are helping out. This festival is all about making connections and networking with our own community. Supporting each other when we really need it." I squeeze his hand when I see him really listening to my words. I was worried that I would offend him while trying to explain myself, but he seems to really be trying to listen. "If you go down a ways that way you'll find a tent set up with artwork hanging up. All those pieces are made from kids in foster care. The money from this festival helps fund a free class for those kids who otherwise would never get to explore their talent. You can buy the pieces and the money goes directly into their pocket. Over this way you'll find a row of booths from small businesses who are willing to hire kids with no prior experience or with juvie records. It's like a career fair for teens who would have a hard time getting a job anywhere else due to their reputation. Where we entered was a group of volunteer therapists who give their time to those who can't afford it or need more help than they are getting from the state. While I think it's amazing how much money can be raised and donated from... well, for a lack of better words, rich people, this is much more about cultivating a community that are willing to legitimately help out young people who have been failed by their families and the state."