Chapter Seventeen

DANI

"You know, I'm really regretting introducing you two." I say playfully to Harry and Darla.

They were whispering to each other as Harry helped Darla whip the mashed potatoes. I had been outside with two of my old foster siblings, Courtney and Abel, both now living out of state, so I never really got to see them. I only came back inside to see where Harry had gone off to. He said he was only going to the restroom, but here I found him conspiring with Darla.

Harry grinned at me, "Sorry, babe, Darla pulled me in to help. Said she needed some muscle for the potatoes."

I chuckle, "Well, I guess it was a good thing you were walking by then. Now what were you two whispering about?"

"Harry was just keeping me updated on your life since I barely get to talk to you anymore." Darla says pointedly.

I cringe, "I'm sorry. Just been busy with school and work-"

"And Harry. I'm hoping you two are being careful?" She asks pointedly.

I feel my face warm, and see that Harry had turned away himself, "Darla, seriously?"

"What?" She says knowingly, "I'm old enough to know what you two are doing behind closed doors - well, I hope it's closed doors. I mean, look at him." She steps forward and cups Harry's cheeks. "I would be all over this if I was your age."

The look on Harry's face was priceless, and I couldn't help but burst out laughing. He gave me a look when Darla joined in, patting his now red cheek, and checking the oven. I walk over to my boyfriend, wrapping my arms around his waist, and hugging him. He hugs me back, whispering in my ears, "That was embarrassing."

I breathe out another laugh, "I'm sorry, baby. But she's right. You are very handsome. No wonder I'm all over you all the time."

"Dani," He says warningly, "We are around your family. Don't get me too excited."

"If you two are going to start making out, please do it out of the kitchen, and away from the teens. I'm having enough problems with PDA and boyfriends around here, right now." Darla huffs.

I smile at her, letting Harry get back to his duties, and haul myself up to sit on the counter, "Sorry, Dar. What's going on with the kids? Know the holidays are always a bit rough on some."

She sighs and for the first time I see how exhausted she looks, "Well, one of my kids had to be moved to another home, because I found him making out with one of the girls."

I cringe, but Harry frowns, "Isn't that a little severe?"

I shake my head, "Relationships aren't allowed in a foster home." He nods his head, mouth forming an "O".

"And then I've got another girl who's dating this boy." She continues, "I don't like him. Reminds me a bit like Mac's old boyfriend. Do you remember him, Dani?"

"Unfortunately." I answer, "He was such a creep. Always looking at the younger girls."

"Yeah, well, so is this guy. I banned him from the house, but now the girl, Maddie, is pissed at me." She sighs again, "And then there's Liz. She just came to me about a month ago..."

"Yeah?" I urge her on a little further.

Darla glances at Harry who was now stirring the gravy on the stove. She looks back at me and says, "I think she had a similar upbringing to you."

There was a small silence before I said, "Oh."

"She's not handling the transition very well. She stormed out of here hours ago, and I'm not sure  when she's coming back."