Chapter 4

The manor on the hill of the city was mysterious, eluding above the skyline like a fairy tale. But it wasn't all the glamorous, no one had visited him in years besides his families. That's what happens when you're no longer useful in politics. Many times you had urged him to move closer to your house or even into your house so that you could take care of him. Every time, he would dismiss such a proposal because he doesn't want to become a burden to your family, which is ridiculous and no one has ever thought that. You figured he liked being alone in his fortress and being above the city, he felt like he was finally away from the madness.

Treading up the hill, you were completely out of breath by the time you reached the gate. The security guard greeted you and allowed you to go inside. "He's by the pond, Miss Choi."

"Thank you, Mr. Lee." you bowed before strolling around the manor and to the backyard where a small body of water had sprung from the ground. It was his favorite spot where he tends for his koi fishes. The autumn breeze made you clung to your coat tightly. You made a detour to the kitchen, grabbing a light blanket from the maid inside. You found him glued to his favorite lawn chair. From afar, he resembles a simple retired fisherman who's too passionate about his element to stay away from the water. He wasn't a particularly good fisherman, but it made him smile every time your grandma cheered him on. She left too soon and he had yearned for the water ever since.

He inhaled with full force as you draped the blanket around him. When he realized it was you, he patted your hand and held it on his shoulder. "Thank you,"

You took the seat next to his. The koi, seeing the new target, rushed over to you in hopes that you have some new snacks. "It's starting to get cold, you shouldn't be out here without anyone," you scolded. He laughed heartily. Wrinkles emerged from his face and his sleek silver hair bounced with his body.

"Come on now, have some confidence in me, I can still manage to walk around in my garden without hurting myself." the man defended. The trees around you two swayed with the breeze and small patches of sunlight filtered through the auburn leaves.

"Halabeoji, I'm just worried when you're here by yourself. It's so far from us and even the bus won't come up this hill."

"I'm not alone," he corrected. "And sweetie, I can buy you a car so you won't have to take the bus."

You shook your head,"No, that's not what I'm trying to get at. I'd rather take the bus, it's more environmentally friendly anyway." you explained. "But I would feel much better if you live with us. I know eomma and appa feel the same way."

"Your parents have enough on their plates already with their jobs," he responded. His daughter, not getting into politics as her father had advised, grew up with mountains on her shoulders. Her schoolmates and their parents shunned her. They would have done the same even if she had got into politics, but at least she would be on the same playing field. Though she never said it, her father knew she blamed him at least a little bit because she was capable of handling herself. That's the trait she passed down to her daughter.

"You're so stubborn," you groaned.

"We're alike in that way," he remarked. He was amongst those who opposed your attendance of Wisteria but then told his friend to take good care of you. "How are things going? Are you making friends?"

"You know there's no way I can ever have real friends there. Not after what happened."

He sighed, and patted your shoulder. "I know what happened with Mi Young was tough on you, but you can't let one event close off your walls forever."

"What about you? Your walls had been built long ago."

He chuckled, "You're right, I don't really have an excuse. Let's just say I'm a coward. And I know that you're not, but I still don't understand why you're staying at that school when you're miserable."

Your hands went into fists, remembering your goal. "It doesn't matter how I feel, I need to show them. That they're not allowed to look down on us, and that our family is a worthy opponent."

"What's the prize, Y/N?" You opened your mouth to answer, but then closed it slowly. There was no answer, there was no prize that you had wanted other than simply having people acknowledge you as a person rather than all the useless trivial associations. In the end, you were really just being selfish. "It's okay, you don't have to tell me. I know I can't change your mind now but listen to your grandpa one more time, alright?"

"Of course, halabeoji."

He looked directly at you with eyes smiling, "Don't take too much onto your shoulders. I know you want to tackle the world for your parents and I. But you're still young, relax a little. Live your life freely, do what you want. Don't take everything too seriously. When your mom was your age, she was stubborn just like you, but she was much more free-spritted. That's where her cleverness came from. I guess I was so afraid that she would turn out like everyone else around me that I kept her light from shining. I don't want that to happen to you. Now I'm not saying to go out and party with snobby rich kids, but be reckless from time to time. Think of everything you do as a tiny lightbulb and I hope when you're older, it will look like the Milky Way."

Poetic, that's where eomma gets it from, you thought. "Alright, halabeoji, I'll be reckless sometimes." As if the universe heard your promise, your phone rang. It was an unknown number. Normally, you would let it go to voicemail, but your grandfather gave you a look like it could be an important person. He couldn't be more wrong. "Hello?" you answered.

"Your voice sounds lovely over the phone." the stranger replied. Your eyebrows furrowed.

"Who is this?"

"Aww, I'm quite offended that you didn't recognize my voice. But that's okay. We can talk on the phone some more until you've memorized the pitch of my voice." he answered, making you groaned.

"Why are you calling me, Namjoon?"

"I did as you asked and looked on the school's registry."

"Why?"

He lowered his voice, "I told you, haven't I? I'm interested in you. I'm serious, I won't give up-"

You put your phone back in your pocket. "Who was that?" your grandfather asked. "Must be someone fascinating."

"Fascinating is the word I would use to describe him," you nodded. "He's no one important. And we should go inside, I think I saw Nari making my favorite soup." Together, the two of you headed for warm shelter. Somewhere on the waters of Korea, Namjoon was stunned that you had the audacity to hang up on you. He tossed his phone back and relaxed in the jacuzzi, enjoying the quality bonding time with his best friends and wrapping his arms around female companions with revealing bathing suits. That's the life he's meant to live, but his eyes were still set on you.