Chapter 17

Soo Ji wanted to crawl into some cave and die. No matter how many accessories she wore or makeup cakes on her face, she couldn't hide the absolutely horrendous server outfit. To make it worse, she was standing in front of the ballroom, having to greet all of her classmates and having them silently mock her as the entered. Once they get back to school, her reputation would surely plummet and she was as good as dead. There was only one person to blame, you. If you hadn't been in the picture, Soo Ji's life would have been perfect and the boys of the music room would be charmed by her instead. She wasn't going to give up now, not like this. But it made her feel better that at least you weren't going to wear anything nice, judging by everything that you have worn so far on this trip.

She was wrong.

Dead wrong.

From the elevator, she saw the ocean floating towards her in sparkling silver heels. The mermaid style dress hugged your body tightly with a sweetheart neckline and off the shoulders sleeves. The royal blue satin gown was eye-catching and apparently complimented your dark hair. At least that's what Seojin said. That's why he had the stylist curled your hair in loose waves to show them off. You felt like you had stepped out of a movie for once in your life, and Seokjin told you to stand up tall and proud. Easy for him to say, you were like a newborn ostrich. He had to go get the boys ready, but he promised they will be in the room, waiting.

It was a miracle that you managed to get off the elevator without falling. When you saw Soo Ji, you cleared your throat and did as Seokjin said, smile like you mean it. "Keep up the good work," you told her as you walked by. She twitched a little but held back her long list of very bad words. The staff pushed the doors opened and the glimmering chandeliers blinded your eyes like stars in a constellation when they were alive. Everything was engulfed in champaign lights and white calla lily were the centerpieces of at every table. Apparently the theme was white canvas and the students were supposed to be the paint, creating their own destiny kind of thing. Poetic, and seeing all the colors of dresses and suits scattering the room, it was fitting.

While you were busy looking at everything else, you hadn't noticed the numerous pairs of eyes that had been following you since you entered the ballroom. Namjoon's heart almost exploded at the sea in front of him. And he wanted to stab all of the eyes that weren't his, and his threat will even extend to all of his friends. "Stop looking!" he yelled, trying his best to cover 12 eyeballs with his two hands, the math doesn't quite add up.

"You can stop us all you want, but you can't stop all of them from staring." Yoongi said, taking a sip of his cider. The bar doesn't offer ice americano to his dismay. As Namjoon looked around, it became increasingly noticeable that every male gaze was on the class president. They had never seen you in anything but a school uniform or plain shirts that did nothing for your body. They were soaking in every second that they could of your collarbone and rosy cheeks. That was until they saw a certain blonde wrapping his arm around your waist.

You gasped, but relaxed a little when you saw that it was him. Something about him was different, and you didn't know what you loved more. The combed hair, the all-black suit that accentuates his godlike body, or his dimples. But you wouldn't tell him any of it. "Holy fuck," he said unintentionally, but that was the only expression he could come up with.

Not knowing that the appropriate response is, you only laughed. "Holy fuck to you too."

"You know I would have said something cheesy, but you left me utterly speechless." he confessed, his dimples popping outs to say hello.

"I didn't know the great Namjoon could become speechless," you replied. "I think I should wear this more often."

"Well if you, I guess I'll just have to stay attached to you like this."

"That sounds awful, there's just no winning with you, is there?"

He laughed. "You're beautiful."

"Thank you, Seokjin did a really good job fixing me up." you answered, resisting the urge to twirl around.

"No, no," he shook his head, and his eyes pinned yours down with the most delicate force. "I said you're beautiful, not that you look beautiful, which you are. But you don't need fancy jewelry or an extravagant gown, you're stunning just the way you are."

"That was cheesy," you mumbled, unable to contain your smile. He was beaming that you didn't reject such a compliment. His heart hadn't stopped racing at all and he found himself with the uncontrollable urge to kiss you, but he won't do that until he knows you're comfortable enough.

The orchestra started and the lights dimmed a little with soft spotlights on the dance floor. Namjoon held his hand out, "Dance with me Y/N."

"Are you sure? I don't know how to dance and I might embarrass you."

"You can never embarrass me, and besides, I don't really know how to dance either so we can both make a fool of ourselves."

"I don't believe you can't dance being friends with Jimin."

"Then I guess there's only one way to find out," he winked. But you were still hesitant. "I know people will see us and they will talk. Just let them, we're not doing anything wrong. And if someone made any comment towards you, I'll be there to protect you."

Multiple light bulbs in your constellation flashed on as you took his hand. The music grew louder and the sound of jealous girls faded out as you two began swaying back and forth. "You are a terrible dancer," you teased. He rolled his eyes, but found himself staring right into yours, and getting lost.

"Well I'll let it slide this time because I'm too happy right now."

"You are?"

"Dancing with you feels like a dream," he proclaimed. "Like it's the very first time. My palms are sweating because I'm so nervous and my heart is pounding and my knees feel like they're about to break."

"That sounds awful."

"But I love it, because it's you." he breathed. A knot grew in your throat, you wanted to cry. No one had ever said such things around you before. Namjoon certainly had his way with words to be able to make such a comparison. It was no surprise that people fall to his feet. But it did shock you, along with him, the boys, and everyone else in the room, what you did next. Gathering your courage, you stopped dancing and lifted yourself up by his collar and planted a kiss on his cheeks. It was too soon for one on the lips, but Namjoon wasn't complaining. His cheeks flushed, his head was spinning, and all around him, he saw stars.

The boys stood to the side, taking sips of the liquor they snuck it. It was transparent that the game was over, but none of them wanted to admit it because they all wanted this to continue, just like Namjoon is wishing.