Chapter 28

Young, bored, rich, and cruel. Those were the only words used to describe the boys of the music room. Yet another new student, yet another tour, yet another pass down the hall to the music room, and yet another warning against the mysterious and heartless boys. "Stay away from you," you told the new girl, Ryujin, her name tag read. "And if they tell you things that are too good to be true, it's probably because it's too good to be true. Don't believe a thing they tell you, it's just a game to them."

"You sound like you're speaking from experience, prez." Ryujin commented.

You shrugged, "Everyone has those moments when they're naive and I thought I was smart enough to know. Turns out I was just looking to get my heart broken."

The new semester has started and with the changing season, you were doing your best to put that chapter behind you. It felt like a fever dream and some days when you wake up, you didn't know what was real anymore. You could delude yourself by believing that you never loved him, but that would be a life. You should have been ready to let him ruin your life the minute you let his smile captivate you. A part of you just wished it had been real, but maybe you were just lonely and was looking for any miracle to happen where someone would pay attention to you. That won't be the case any longer, the walls were back, sturdier and than ever.

When everyone came back to school, they had noticed right away that Namjoon had dumped you. It was hard to miss since he was no longer glued to your side and the love poems ceased to exist. To rub in the fact that he never cared about you, he went back to his old ways and had girls cling onto him during every passing minute. He made sure that you would see him, to see that he wasn't the type to commit, especially not to the likes of you. And for you to see that he would no longer look at you in that way, you doubted he ever had in the first place. You were tossed aside like a worn out sweater. But there was a silver lining, the threatening notes and dead animals stopped. And for some reason, no one used the break up as an opportunity to taunt you. They just went back to how it had been before the bet, as if you two had never existed as a couple in their mind.

You should think of it like that as well, to save yourself from endless crying nights and sobbing mornings. Your parents found out eventually, they noticed your abnormal quiet state and blank stares at dinner. They waited for you to come to them, knowing that you would never do that. So every now and then, they would take you out to eat to get your mind off of him. Nothing ever truly helped, traces of him were everywhere.

Namjoon stopped coming to the school to teach and his father had been apologizing profusely for his son's behavior. And while business between the two of them continued, you can tell your father was hesitant on any long-term projects. You felt bad that you had dragged his father and yours into this, but there had never been a protocol for what to do when your boyfriend tells you it's a joke and all of his affections were acts of desperations for wanting a new car. The other sickening fact is that Kim Namjoon is rich enough to buy all the cars he could ever want. There was not a need for any interactions with you. But cruel boys will be cruel.

You shrugged it off, nothing could be done about it now. Come to think of it, there was nothing to be done in the first place. This is how Kim Namjoon is and he had been so good at acting that you thought there was a chance for you to stay in his future. Wishful thinking, you thought as you sat in the sunflower garden. The maze grew thicker, the way you wanted it to so that no one could find you. Because it was that day he stepped into the garden that the dominoes fell and led to all of this bloodshed. Sunflowers mean loyalty, something Kim Namjoon doesn't and will never have. You ate your lunch in complete silence.

On the other side of the school behind the mysterious set of double doors, the boys were begging Namjoon to eat. He hadn't moved from the shadows of the corner he built for himself. He had been like this for weeks. Every day, he would go to school to put on a show for you then retreat back into the music room to hate himself even more. Nothing brought him joy, not his books, not clubbing, and certainly not the other girls. He had accepted his fate, he would suffer so that you wouldn't have to.

"Hyung, please." Jungkook sighed. "Talk to us."

"And eat something," Taehyung continued.

Their leader stared at the floor, resembling a broken statue. "We have to do something," Jimin commented.

"Like what?" Seokjin asked. "The only solution is to get them back together and I think that's the last thing she wants right now. Or for the rest of her life, actually."

"So then do we just do nothing?" Hoseok questioned. He couldn't handle the fact that two important people in his life has parted in such an awful way. But he was also part of the blame.

"Let's just leave him alone," Yoongi suggested.

"We've left him alone long enough," Taehyung snapped.

"I don't know then, Tae. He's broken." Yoongi yelled. "We're monsters, we don't deserve to love anyway." The room grew silent, and eventually, the boys dispersed, physically and emotionally. It was the first time in a long time that they had gotten into a fight, The feeling felt new and uncomfortable. They were drifting away from each other. But the world went back to how it should have been and the game continued.