Chapter 22

The apocalypse began. Lifeless and outraged girls stormed your homeroom right after Namjoon's declaration to interrogate you. They became hysterical, begging you to tell them that it was some sick joke. It bothered you a little bit that to them it's so impossible for someone like him to be with someone like you. Well, you thought it was impossible too but you agreed to be his girlfriend after your first kiss. You remember how he froze and yelled into the night sky to celebrate. And while you two hadn't discussed how to tell the world, because it was going to happen eventually, this was not how you wanted it to happen.

After the meeting with the principal for him to apologize to you for the accusation and to reinstate your position, he said that it would be best if you take the day off so that the students would not cause a riot. You didn't want to give in, to seem weak, but even Namjoon agreed that it would be a bloodbath. The last thing he wanted was for you to get hurt anymore. You agreed to go home, but forbid him from following you. He pouted and complied.

As you got closer to your house, suddenly not having him here felt like the wrong choice. Swarms of cars and reporters crowded the entrance and you saw your mother, agitated and tired, trying to fight them away. When she saw you out of the corner of her eye, she discreetly gestured for you to use the back gate. "Go away or else I will call the police!" she yelled to distract the hungry reporters.

"You can't do that." someone yelled back.

She snapped her head in their direction, making them whimper. "Do you want to play? I know the law, baby." Then she slammed the gate shut on them and headed on inside. She found you hiding behind the couch. "Sweetie, they won't see you in here."

"You don't know that," you whispered. "They might already be inside."

"They're journalists, not spies."

"You broke into that warehouse last week." you pointed out.

"To expose them of illegal drug making," she defended. Then she approached sternly, crossing her arms. Oh boy, you thought. "So, do you have anything to tell me?"

"You look really beautiful today?"

She rolled her eyes, then sat down on the couch. She patted the seat next to hers, which you took. "Sweetie, I don't mind that you have a boyfriend. In fact, I'm happy that you finally found someone to give your love to. But I just want to make sure that this is the right choice. I mean, Kim Namjoon? He's the country's biggest playboy. Everyone knows that. And I'm certain you know that better than anyone."

You nodded slowly, "Yes, I am aware of his status in society and I know for certain that we're from different worlds. But trust me, eomma, there's someone inside of him that's so wonderful and kind and circumstances have diminished his hope and optimism. He's so different from how the world thinks of him and it would be unfair if I didn't give him a chance."

"You really like him, don't you?" your mother asked quietly. She knew what it was liked to be judged and to hide your existence, especially being a child of an important figure. She felt sympathetic to Namjoon's case, but she was most worried about her daughter's heart.

"I do."

"And what if he turns out exactly like his father? Or what the world expects of him?"

"I do hope that my presence in his life can help in some ways. I hope he won't have to turn to those possibilities. But if that happens, at least I won't have regrets and think about what could have been."

"I trust you," she hummed, squeezing your hand. "I just hope your father will be understanding."

"I don't think appa will care-"

The door burst opened, a bull stormed in, face red and eyes set for you. "Choi Y/N!" he yelled.

You hid behind your mother in a failed attempt to escape "H-hi appa."

***

Namjoon was quite annoyed that his father asked the family to eat dinner together. That was s signal for an unpleasant discussion at the dining table and Namjoon was not looking forward to it. That was where he told Namjoon that he would never be allowed to take over the company and where he found out that his father was remarrying. It could have been worse, his step-mother could have been a money-hungry snake. Namjoon almost wished she was so that it would be karma for all the things his father had done. Bu the woman he remarried devoted herself to her husband and new son. Namjoon cared greatly for the woman, she was the only family he had in this house.

The three of them sat in stiff silence, only utensils clashing with each other. The anticipation was building for both him and his step-mother. Something told her her husband was not happy. CEO Kim then cleared his throat and dabbed the corner of his mouth with a napkin. Namjoon rolled his eyes, there was no point in keeping up an image when no one was looking. "So, the news reported that you're dating Choi Y/N. I hope that's just a rumor and I hope you get it taken cared of soon."

Namjoon gripped his spoon to the point where it started bending. His step-mother saw and nudged his shoulder. "Well, I'm sorry to inform you that it's not a rumor. I am dating Choi Y/N."

His father slammed his hand on the table, making the maids jump. "I will not allow this. She's not someone that will be beneficial to you and your social standing. Break up with her immediately."

"No, I will not do that," Namjoon fumed, "I don't care about my social standing. Are you sure it's not because she won't benefit you? You have never paid attention to me or my happiness. You don't have the right to tell me what to do, and you certainly have no right to tell me who I can date." Namjoon stood up, tossing his napkin on the table. "Thanks for dinner," he mumbled before heading upstairs to his room.

His father huffed in place as his wife tried to calm him down. That was until he pushed her off. Back in his office, he called his secretary. "Contact Choi Y/N," he commanded. "I need to have a chat with her."