Chapter 8

The children lined up neatly outside the gate, eagerly awaiting your arrival. Although you have told them numerous times to not stay in the cold for long, they never listened. You felt honored that they wanted to see you, but as soon as you arrived, they all went to hug the bags of pastries in your hands. The betrayal you felt in your heart. You sighed, typical children. They offered to carry the bags, unable to hold back their appetite and hoped that the smell would ease their stomachs just a little. Their caretaker soon joined the group, scolding the children for not properly saying hello to you. After you told them it was okay, you set off to find your father.

He was in his office, looking through his file. He took his glasses off and massaged his temples. The number of abandoned children had risen and though the hospital was doing well, they couldn't keep up with all the expenses. That's what happens when you don't take money. Against his parents' wishes, your father opened up his own local hospital to treat children who came from abused or is suffering from some form of mental condition. It was also an orphanage of sorts and a school. Some of his colleagues from school or other hospitals would come to treat the children, or to teach them. While there are numerous donations throughout the years, there's not enough to send the children to actual schools. His parents had wanted him to join one of the larger hospitals in the city, but he refused to get involved in that drama. Being here, he felt his talent was better served.

You knocked, and he quickly put on his usual smile. "Hi sweetie, I wasn't expecting for you to be here on a weekend," he chuckled. "Shouldn't you teenager be out shopping or going to cafes?"

"Appa, that sounds awful," you remarked. "And besides, I figured you could use some company. Eomma told me you're short on staff this week and I have nothing else to do."

"What would I do without you?" he sighed.

"I don't know, and we'll never know," you assured. "Make sure to eat this before it gets cold." You pointed at the freshly baked tart. He saluted, and thanked you. The children had disappeared from the courtyard, and instead, sat obediently in their seats in the classroom, once again, eager waiting on for your teacher. Before you entered the classroom, their caretaker, Sunja, pulled you aside.

"What's going on?" you asked. But judging from her delight smile, whatever happened shouldn't be so bad.

"I'm so sorry that we didn't notify you earlier," she began. "But there's a new volunteer coming in to teach today. It was sudden, but since we're short on staff and his good credentials, we accepted him."

"Really? That's wonderful. I trust that you have checked his background and everything to make sure he's a good fit for the children."

"Yes, we ran an extensive check on him," Sunja reported. "Actually, he's your age and he goes to your school."

Your heart stopped, an uneasy feeling creeping over your body. "When did he apply?"

"Just last week," she answered. It coincided when he started messing with you, but it could just be a coincidence, right? There were hundreds of guys in your class and surely, one of them has a heart of gold who would want to volunteer to teach at a small hospital. There has to be one last hope in this world. Only one way to find out.

"And what was his name?" you asked with shaky breathe.
"Kim Namjoon." Yes, that was the name you had been expecting, one that made you shiver and numb your body. But terrifyingly, it wasn't Sunja's voice. Her mouth hung open, but nothing had come out. Both you and Sunja turn your heads in the direction of the voice, only for you to feel immediately lightheaded.

Kim Namjoon stood out like a thumb, dresses in his Tom Ford coat and ripped wash out jeans. At least his hair was sort of tamed. But he looked nothing like a golden-hearted volunteer. He confidently strode over to Sunja, ignoring your protesting face. When he shook her hand, you can tell she was smitten by him, judging by her blushing cheeks and gushing smile.

"Hello, I'm Kim Namjoon. Reporting for duty." he cooed, tugging even more on her emotions.

She held a hand to hide her grin, "Oh my, what a handsome boy you are. We're happy to have you here."

"No, we're not," you said under your breath. She nudged you to stay quiet, which only made Namjoon more amused.

"The kids are waiting inside, let's go introduce you to them," she suggested.

"Yes, of course," he answered, following after her. Before he could get to the door, you intercepted the path, glaring at him.

"Are you really doing this?" you questioned.

"Well, I did sign up, didn't I?" he retorted.

Annoyed, you inhaled deeply. "May I talk to you in private, please?" Namjoon was quite delighted by the request, but played it off by simply nodding. In the quiet corner at the end of the hall, you began the interrogation. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Can't you see? I'm volunteering to teach."

"But why?"

"Because it's the right thing to do." he informed.

You rolled your eyes, "Bullshit, you don't know anything about what is right or just. Serious, Kim Namjoon, what game are you playing right now? Mess with me all you want but these are innocent children. Please, I'm begging you, just leave if you don't really care. They get attached so easily and they can't afford to have their hopes shattered anymore." He saw how broken your eyes had been already, and he was caught off guard by the conviction in your voice, fragile and vulnerable.

His smile dropped, and his face firmed up a little. "I'm not leaving. I know these are children, and I know it's only fair that they receive an education. I promise I'm taking this seriously." He meant it.

"So you're not doing this to mess with me?"

"Sort of," he pondered. "I am doing this for you, and because of you."

"Why?"

"Because you told me I'm smart, remember?" With one last wink, he headed for the classroom. You stood outside the door for a second, still feeling as if this was some sort of joke. But he properly introduced himself to them, using a toned down and delicate version of commanding voice. It was engaging, you found yourself listening intently to his lessons. His voice was alluring and sweet, like a flute, a pied piper. You continued to watch his eyes lighting up with every cheer from the children, with every correct answer. It felt normal, no money, no drama, just a boy who wants to show off his talent.

Once, Namjoon, feeling overwhelmingly content in the moment, glanced over at you, and found you beaming back at him. His world stopped. He was seeing it for the first time.