Chapter 32

Flashback one week before the announcement

In the midst of finals before winter break, you received an email from Wisteria High's principal. You thought that after you graduated, they would just leave you alone and let the new class president handle it. But nonetheless, you decided to check the content anyway. He wanted to meet with you, an important discussion he said and he could only trust you for it. The meeting was scheduled after your last final and you took a bus over to the school.

It was the last place you wanted to be. Roaming the halls brought back unwanted and heartbreaking memories that you wished would disappear forever. Stupidly, you wished that graduation would be some sort of ritual to erase everything that happened on these grounds, but those were just wishful thinking. Your heart remained broken and missing. As you entered the school, a few of the instructors greeted you warmly. Some of them joked how they wanted you back because the current class president was more of a figurehead. You just smiled and walked away.

Thinking back, you wondered if any of it would have happened if you were just a normal student that didn't stand out much. Would he have noticed you and decided to make you his target? Or would he have done it still because you were different from the rest, even without your title? But this isn't the time to think about it now, you shook your head and proceeded to the principal's office.

The man sat on his usual chair behind the desk as if he was permanently a part of the room. The only time you had ever seen him outside of his office was at graduation. He smiled in delight as he saw you. Shaking his hand, you felt that whatever matters he wanted to discuss was urgent and fragile. "Thank you for meeting with me." he stated. "It's good to see you."

"It's good to see you too, sir." you replied.

"How have you been? I heard from colleagues at the university that you're exceeding their expectations."

"They're flattering me too much," you chuckled. "I'm working hard just like any other students."

"Well you're just being humble," the principal remarked. "I know when you were a student here, I could always relied on you for everything. Which brings me to why I requested this meeting with you today."

"Sir, I appreciate your compliments, but I do not want to come back here to teach or anything." you interjected. The thought of being with young and bored rich kids made you shutter.

The principal laughed, "No, I would never ask you to do that. I know how monstrous they can be. Don't tell anyone I said that."

"I won't, sir."

"The unfortunate thing is that they never change and being cruel is something they can never grow out of. They will only continue to get worse." You nodded, it was a fact that you had to learn the hard way. The stitches on your heart began to undo at the thought of him. "Anyway, this is going to sound crazy but please listen to me first before you say anything."

"Okay."

"As you know, I was the former CEO of Sky's Airline before taking on the role of principal for Wisteria." he began to explain. "My son, the current CEO, is planning on stepping down from his position soon. And he wants his oldest son to take over the company." You nodded, it's a natural decision. "However, he's not the only one making that decision and at a recent meeting, it seems that the stockholders believe my grandson is too young to become CEO and they are pushing for a new candidate, someone from outside the family and someone I cannot trust. Which is why I need your help."

"What do you want me to do exactly? I don't think I can convince them, no matter how good I am at my words."

The principal sighed, "I wish it was that simple. What I'm asking you to do is much more permanent."

The atmosphere grew tenser and your mind wandered to numerous troubling thoughts, such as he wanted you to kill someone. "What is it?" you asked with caution.

"I want you to marry my grandson, Lee Jooheon." he declared.

Your eyes widened. "What? Marry?"

"Please, it's the only way the stockholders will think he's ready to take over the company. He's a good kid, incredibly smart and kind. I know he's capable of handling the company's business and I also know he will be kind to you. This is asking a lot of you, I am aware of that, but there are not many people I trust in this business world and certainly, no girl that I trust to not use him for money of fame. You're the only one who can help us in this situation."

You sat in silence, trying to comprehend everything he just said. He needed you to be with his nephew so that he could establish his position in the company to become CEO. It made perfect sense, marriage is hardly ever about love in this world. You just thought yours would be different, but if he's at least nice to you and won't break your heart, did it matter?

"Of course you can say no," the principal added. "I know it's a selfish request on my part. I just wanted to ask you first. I understand if you don't agree to it, marriage is a lifetime commitment after all and I don't want you to have any regrets-"

"I'll do it." you said.

The man blinked and furrowed his eyebrows, "What?"

"I'll marry your grandson," you said again.

"Are you sure? Shouldn't you ask your parents and grandfather? You can think about it."

You shook your head, "My grandfather told me many times that you're one of his closest friends. That made me trust you and if you have vouched all those things about your grandson, then I will believe you."

He looked as if he wanted to cry. "Thank you so much, Y/N. I'll set up a meeting between the two families before the engagement announcement." He said a few other things too, but your mind was too cloudy to absorb in any other details. This was an unhealthy decision on your part, you were running away from reality and using someone to do it. This would be loveless but that's okay because you had no more love to give. But maybe down the line, this marriage would lead to something better.

After saying your farewell to the principal, your feet told you they wanted to go to that hallway. For peace of mind, they assured. You heard that once the senior class graduated, someone took everything out of the room and made it an actual music room, with instruments and musicians. The mirror for Jimin's dance was gone, the chandelier was gone, and so was the giant TV and liquor bar. The wall of books was emptied and replaced with instruments. Only Yoongi's piano remained as his donation.

You took a deep breath and exhaled. "Now, I'll finally be clean of you."