Chapter 5

There was no escape. He was everywhere, or at least he left traces everywhere for you to find. Once you came back yo school from the weekends, the first thing you found in your locker was an envelope. You weren't going to question how he got it in there, just as long as that was all he did. Your name was written nicely in traditional Korean handwriting in the front of the envelope. The content was a piece of paper with detailed watermarks. Your eyes quickly scanned the lines of words.

I just feel it.

Like the moon rises after the sun rises

Like how fingernails grow

Like trees that shed their bark once a year

That you are the one who will give meaning to my memories,

It was supposed to make your heart flutter, that was his intention. But you felt nothing. The words were certainly beautiful, it did strike you by surprise slightly. And a tiny part of you wished that the intent was genuine, but that was wishful thinking. Kim Namjoon is the type of person to treat his words like his money, he will spend it carelessly as long as it gets him what he wants. To take them seriously would be a waste of time. You closed the door and jumped when you found him leaning against the locker next to yours.

His uniform was still too loose on him, but he did tuck in his shirt, which was a small improvement in your opinion. His hair was still wild like an exotic foreigner. "Did you like my poem?" he asked with enticing eyes. Instead of answering him, you simply smiled and dropped it in the trash bin conveniently placed next to your locker. Let's be real. It was far from being convenient, some girls purposely placed it there because they consider you and the bin the same breed. The placement finally became useful. His smile didn't falter like you were hoping, in fact, it grew into curiosity. "I'll do better tomorrow," and with that, he strode away into the direction of the music room.

Tomorrow? you exhaled in annoyance, just how much longer is he going to do this? You really thought it was a spur of the moment ordeal with him and he would give up after you ignored his calls but turns out that just fueled his ego. In your homeroom, you found a single sunflower placed on your desk.

The students began whispering to themselves as you picked the flower up. You could make out a few words, like speculations about who would give you something like that because apparently, you're so undesirable as a woman. Someone even suggested that you were having an affair with one of the instructors or CEO. You turned your head slightly in their direction, enough for them to see your side profile and they quickly closed their mouths. You kept it the entire day, and when you were leaving, you handed it to an older security guard to thank him for his hard work, all while making sure Namjoon was in sight. You smiled politely in his direction, then turned away. The boys watched what had happened, and was expecting to console their leader. However, he had a determined grin on his face, he found your dishonest smile fascinating.

The next few days, the envelopes continued to appear in your lockers and the flower grew into bouquets. The whispers grew louder around you. Namjoon was true his words, the poems got better. The words felt truer and heavier by the days, which only made more annoyed You continued to toss them in the trash and gave the bouquets to janitors. At first, you thought you were being harsh but when you see him slithering his arms around some heiress in the hallway, it made you certain that you have made the right choice. So for the next few days, that was your routine. He was starting to lose momentum, you felt it. The envelopes in your locker stopped. You sighed out of relief.

But it didn't last long.

He started sending flowers to your house and attached were love notes. It was a matter of time before your parents noticed and teased you about a potential suitor. You told them it was an arrogant and bored teenage boy. They hummed a response before going back to teasing. You were fed up with it. Stomping through the hallway, you pounded on the music room door.

Jimin opened it and was confused to see that it was you, but then he thought that his hyung must have won you over. "Where the fuck is he?" you asked. That thought faded away from Jimin right away.

"He's inside, do you want to come in?"

"No, I'd rather not. Can you tell him to come here?" Jimin nodded then closed the door gently, seconds later, the door was opened again by a certain blonde.

"So, I'm guessing you got my flowers?" he asked, glancing down at the peony bouquet in your hand.

Fuming, you threw it at his face. It smacked him, and he was in a daze. "Don't do this if you don't mean it. Do this to all the girls that will melt at your words, but don't do it to me. If I see another bouquet, I'll get a restraining order." You left before he could get a word out. Namjoon was drained, never in his life had it been so hard to get a girl before. Usually, they would come begging at his feet just from a plain note. But that wasn't you, and that only made him want you more.

He was about to close the door when he saw that you dropped your bracelet during the bouquet toss. It was another opportunity to talk to you, or to tease, which he enjoys more. As he walked through the hallway leading up to the school's lobby, he heard muffled yelling in a secluded corner. He was about to ignore it when he heard your voice.

"Class is about to start, I suggest you all leave to make it on time," you advised.

Namjoon recognized the ring leader as Soo Ji, someone his stepmother had tried to set him up with to no prevails but she was still obsessed with him. "Yah, just because you're the class president, you don't get to tell me what to do. My family is way richer than you and they can have you removed from the school with the snap of a finger. You're nothing."

"Alright, then why are you talking to me?"

"I want to warn you, back away from Namjoon oppa." she ordered. "I don't know what trick you pulled to have him send you flowers. But stop, if you don't, there will be consequences."

While you wanted to tell her you wanted nothing to do with Namjoon, it was quite fun seeing rich girls riled up. "I don't know Soo Ji, I find the attention quite nice. I think I'll keep it going for a while." Namjoon held in his laugh, he knew you were only joking.

"Bitch!" she growled. Her hand went flying, but you caught it before it came down on your cheek.

"Do you think doing something like this would make him look at you a second time? Don't you know how cruel he is by now? He won't give a damn about anyone." you sneered, pushing her handoff. "And Soo Ji, you might want to lay low. I have a meeting with the board of education next week, and your parents are pitching their anti-bully initiative for your father's campaign. It would be a real shame if you got in the way of his victory." you snickered before leaving. Namjoon tried to blend into the wall, and luckily, you walked the other way. As he watched your silhouette round the corner, the corner of his mouth curled up into a smile he hasn't felt in a long time. It has definitely become more than a simple game.