Chapter 20

"Choi Y/N, please come to the principal's office. Choi Y/N to the principal now." the voice on the intercom system announced. Heads turned in your direction. Students only ever got called to the principal's office because they got in trouble. And they were all so curious about what the class president has done. In their various classes, the boys grew concerned, a storm was heading their way. Namjoon saw you walking passed his classroom window and told himself that you would be okay without him. You repeated to yourself that everything was fine, they probably just have a project for you. The hallway to his office stretched on, expanding until forever it feels like. Every step was heavy.

"Come in," a gruff voice called out. Pushing the heavy wooden door back, you found the principal at his usual seat behind the organized desk, and a female instructor on the seat in front of him. "Please, sit down Y/N." the principal commanded. While he was smiling, the tensions on his face told you that trouble was rising in the air. Nonetheless, you took a seat next to the instructor that you recognized was from another homeroom.

"What's going on?" you asked.

The principal cleared his throat, "It has come to my attention that foul play has taken place during the midterm exams. And it was someone from the senior class."

"Alright..." you said slowly. Cheating was normal at the school. People who had the money can hire anyone to do their dirty work. The principal should have seen this coming.

"I should have seen this coming, that's what you're thinking, right?"

"My apologies sir, this is terrible news." you bowed.

"Yes, it is quite terrible," he humored. "You're a stellar student, Y/N, and a fair class president. I didn't think you would be the sort of person who resorts to this means."

You gasped, eyes widened. "What? Are you saying it was me?"

The man nodded, "Instructor Lee here had confessed that you came to her asking for help with switching your test while grading. And she said you threatened her with your grandfather's influence, which is why she did it."

"That's absurd!" you yelled. "I've never talked to her aside from school functioning. She's lying!"

"I really want to believe you, Y/N, I really do." the principal yelled. He slid a folder in your direction. "I have the letter you wrote to her and the check." You grabbed the folder hastily and read the content. Your heart fell, it was your handwriting but you had never written such words before, especially not one of such aggression and demands. The note detailed the plan, in which instructor Lee would deliberately grade your paper and switch it with a test that he had done himself.

"This can't be," you mumbled. "This is false. Where is my real test?" you yelled at the instructor, who sat trembling.

"I-I got rid of it as you asked me to." she answered.

"I never asked you to do this," you cried. "Please tell him this was all a mistake."

"Listen, Y/N," the principal continued. "Due to your clean record so far, we won't expel you. But we will have to revoke your class president position. And this incident will unfortunately appear on your records. We have not called your parents or grandfather. That's something you should do yourself. You may leave."

"Please, no, this is all wrong. I never did this." you begged, the world was spinning out of place. "Please believe me."

"Goodbye, Y/N."

***

After that announcement, Namjoon didn't see you for the rest of the day. He thought about all sorts of possibilities, like you got sick, or a family emergency happened. All his calls went to voicemail and his text messages were left unread. He sighed, feeling discouraged like you two had gone back to before where he knew nothing about you. There were whispers of what had happened, Namjoon heard something about cheating on a test but he quickly dismissed it because that was below who you are.

The next day, there was still no sign of you and the school was buzzing louder about an instructor's resignation in association with a student cheating. The chatter grew louder and someone within the faculty spilled the identity of the student, you. A riot began and those who had grudges towards you took the opportunity to call you names, raided your lockers and burned all of your belongings. To them, it was only a matter of time before you abused your power. That's what people without the right parenting or prestigious backgrounds do.

The boys locked Namjoon in the music room, if they hadn't, he would have created his own storm to protect the person he cherishes. He was fuming, of course he knew you would never do such a thing and he hated there wasn't anything he could do for you at the moment. You wouldn't even see him.

Instead of waiting around, Namjoon dismissed his chauffeur and drove to your house himself. He rang the doorbell and patiently waited for you at the gate. The first time he went to your house, he noticed how small it was in comparison to his house or the boy's place. But hearing about the bonds with your family, having a smaller house wouldn't be so bad in his opinion. When he grows up, he would want to have a cozy place like this, with you.

You should have expected him to come check up on you. But honestly, your mind hadn't been working right, you didn't know what to believe anymore. The gate rolled open and he ran in, tackling you. "I was so worried," he exhaled. "Why didn't you tell me what happened?"

"I don't know," you mumbled, your arms stayed tucked by your sides. "I didn't know if you would believe me or not."

"Silly girl," he patted your head. "I will always believe you. I know you didn't cheat."

You sniffled into his padded coat, and wrapped your arms around his back. "I just wish this was all a bad dream." you sobbed. "But this is real. I haven't even told my parents yet because I'm so scared of disappointing them. My goal in school has always been to make them proud and show the world they're amazing parents. I'm a failure."

He cupped your cheeks, wiping your tears away. "Don't ever say that about yourself. You are the smartest, most courageous, and confident girl I've ever met. This is a misunderstanding and I promise you it will be fixed."

"How do you know that?"

"I just do. I promise you."

"Okay." It didn't strike you that this was the first time he had seen you at your most vulnerable moment. But you were glad it was he who saw you. That night, you told your parents the truth, they both kissed your forehead and told you everything will be alright.