Chapter 29

Blaring music, blinding disco lights, intoxicated bodies swaying on the dance floor. This was not how you had wanted to spend your Saturday night. But then again, your plan for most nights had been the same. Doing homework, eating dinner, and trying to push away the memories of his warmth so that you could sleep soundly at night. Sometimes it works, sometimes you dream about empty skies instead and that brought you comfort, or sometimes you would see his face and wake up soundlessly screaming.

You wanted to scream out loud right now. The school was holding their annual Valentine's Day dance and for some twisted reason, it was mandatory for you to go this year when you had skipped all the other years. Apparently, they were low on staff and they also wanted you to enjoy the dance as a student. Doubtful, you thought, there was nothing to enjoy about loveless and meaningless interactions except for when they can use each other in the business of politics. It was suffocating, especially since it was at a club rather than the usual ballroom. The senior class felt like they had matured enough, but it was just an excuse for them to seduce each other in designers. For the first time since you entered this school, you hated the game because you never actually played it well. Other people had played you instead.

While the music continued to blast, you walked around the club because there was nothing else for you to do. The last thing you wanted to do was dance because the dance floor was where he was. A barely sober girl wrapped around him like a snake, and it seems like he was enjoying the feeling of her body pressed up against his, his eyes were closed. Involuntarily, your heart had healed itself just enough to let him break it all over again. At least he didn't touch her, but then again that was no longer any of your concerns.

"Hey prez," someone called out from behind but it came like a whisper under the music. You turned around, to see that it Jaehyun. With a face like his, you were absolutely certain nothing good would come out of this conversation. "Why aren't you dancing?" he asked, slurring his words. He was on the brink of getting drunk.

"Oh no, that's not for me. But you go ahead and enjoy yourself." you answered.

He shook his head and attempted to wrap his arm around your shoulder, to which you unsuccessfully dodged. The stench of hard liquor made you gagged. "That's not how you should live your life," Jaehyun remarked. "This is our last year, don't you want to let loose a little bit?"

"Not really," you stated. "Letting loose would mean being vulnerable and there's no way I will ever let any of you see that side of me."

"But you let him see it, didn't you?" Jaehyun didn't need to say who, the constant pain in your heart was a good enough reminder. He took your silence as a yes and smirked. "Don't you want him to see that you're doing better without him?"

"Why does it matter? He has already moved on and could care less about me."

"Maybe. So why not share this drink with me as a celebration, to your future." He held up a glass of beer. Everything in you told you not to take the glass, but when you saw him on the dance floor with that girl, you ignored your instincts and downed the entire thing. Jaehyun watched with hopeful eyes, the prey fell for the trap. When you handed the glass to him, you noticed immediately how disorientating the room was.

Fuck, you thought, your body is numb and you couldn't speak. There was something else other beer in that glass and you naively took it without considering the cruel things young and rich boys are capable of. His grin grew as your body fell onto his. His arms slithered around your body as he held you up. He thought how much of a shame it was that you weren't dressed like the other girls in the room but he didn't mind, because pretty soon, he'll get what he wants.

Scattered around the room, the boys all noticed at the same time Jaehyun ushering you out of the club. They moved immediately but Namjoon was one step ahead of them. He grabbed your shoulder, hoping that you were still a bit conscious, but he only found your flushed cheeks. His jaws clenched and tried to reach for you when Jaehyun grabbed his arm. The boys then gathered at the scene, along with a few other students near the area.

"What do you think you're doing?" he asked.

"I should be asking you that," Namjoon snapped. "What do you think you're doing with her?"

"We're just having a little fun here," Jaehyun answered nonchalantly. "Y/N said she wanted to enjoy her senior year at least once and I offered to help her do that."

"You sick bastard," Namjoon growled. "You drugged her."

"So what?" Jaehyun's smile didn't last long, Namjoon's fist landed on his face. As your body fell, he caught you and carried you away. Jaehyun was about to reclaim his prize when Jungkook and Taehyung stepped in front of him.

"I don't think that's a good idea." Jungkook muttered.

Namjoon placed you down gently on the nearby sofa, grazing your cheek with his thumb. He had the urge to kiss you, but he didn't feel worthy of that privilege any longer. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I love you." He instructed Hoseok and Seokjin to take you home. He thought about doing it himself, but he knew that if he did, he would never leave you again. And he had business to finish here anyway. Namjoon got up, and returned his attention to the bruised-face boy on the ground "If you dare lay a hand on her, I will kill you."

Jaehyun gulped, feeling the intimidating aura of Kim Namjoon and the boys of the music room. They were truly powerful, and monsters. Voices hushed around them, everyone was anticipating what will happen next. Jaehyun couldn't let this be his moment of defeat. He stood up, tall but still cautious. "You think just because you're rich, you can get away with assault?"

"Funny, I can say the same thing about you," Namjoon scoffed. "Dirty rats will always be dirty rats, no amount of money can change that."

Jaehyun clenched his jaws and fists, "Why do you care? You dumped her."

Namjoon gave him a bored gaze, "I do care. She's still mine."

Behind you, you could hear the battle raging on, but your eyes wouldn't open and you drifted off to slumber.