Chapter 10

He gripped the handle with all of his strength, like his life depended on it, which is it. His eyes set on the machine ahead, anxiously waiting for the ball the shoot out and attack him. The moment came, the air around him slowed down and his eyes watched the blazing ball heading straight for him. With all his might, he swung the racket and hit the ball, sending vibrations through his whole body. It certainly was thrilling, but not the sort of thrill Hoseok had wanted for his life. He continued to swing, grunting and screaming out his frustration.

Just like his best friends, and every other boy at the school, there were expectations on Hoseok's shoulders. And while it wasn't to run a business or deal with foreign affairs, it was all the same, showing the world only the best side of you. As he got older, it was easier to present that perfect side of him he spent his whole life perfecting. He never hated this lifestyle, he was conditioned by family members and society to be thankful for what he has and shouldn't complain. He should be thankful that his mother was a world-renowned tennis player. He should be thankful she passed that duty onto him. And he should never think about what he really wants. None of his best friends could afford that privilege. He kept swinging until his arms wanted to fall off. And then he fell.

As he laid on the ground, he stared at the borderless clouds, freely roaming where they like and be any shape they desire. He closed his eyes, pretending to be clouds for a moment. When he opened his eyes again, he finally found someone looking back at him. Someone who could care less about his status or talent. The only person, besides his best friend, who he would let see him like this. "Y/N, what are you doing here?"

"I was walking by and I saw you fell, are you okay?" you asked.

Hoseok sat up, feeling a sting on his knee. "Looks like I'm not." You crouched down, pulling a small bag out of your backpack. Hoseok watched in silence as you cleaned the scrape and put a bandaid on.

"There, all better," you reported.

"I suck at tennis, right?" he said, ignoring what you just said. His eyes trailed the lone tennis ball on the side of the net.

"Yes, you are," you answered. He turned his head back, feeling both offended and surprised,

"You weren't supposed to say that," he laughed. "You were supposed to say "Hoseok oppa, you're an amazing tennis player. Don't ever say that about yourself." Or something along that line."

"Please don't ever imitate a girl's voice again, we don't sound like that," you argued. "Well, at this school, maybe, but not everywhere. Anyways, objectively speaking, you're a great player. You have the postures and stats to back that up. But when you swing, it looks like it hurts. And if you really love tennis, it should never look painful."

He smiled awkwardly, looking down. "When did you get so observant?"

"I'm the class president, I have to notice everything. And you're a good guy Hoseok. I don't know what's troubling you, but I think that if you talk about it, maybe you'll feel better."

"You really think I'm a good person?"

"I would never admit this to Kim Namjoon, but I think all of you are good people. It's just the circumstance that made you all this way. If you had been born into normal families, you would feel lighter."

He laughed, "I won't tell him that you said that then. You're right, I would feel lighter. But unfortunately, life didn't turn out that way for any of us. We're stuck in this game and we'll just have to continue playing."

"Or you could turn the table, make anything a resource."

"That's what you did, right?"

"Yeah," you hummed, "It doesn't make me any happier, but at least I'm still me."

"I can't say that's the same for me. The real me yearns for something else."

"What is it?"

"Will you keep it a secret?" he whispered.

"It won't do me any good to tell anyone," you said honestly. "Tell me."

"I want to dance," he confessed. "My mother would disown me if she finds out."

"She might." you agreed. "And you'll lose your money, but really, does that matter to you at all?"

"No."

"Then why not try? You can't fly without first falling." That was a cliche, but it was the only advice you could give a person who has everything else. "I think your mother will love you no matter what, not right away, but she'll realize that you mean more to her than any other trophy in the world."

"And if she doesn't?"

"You still have your friends, who will love you in her stead."

"And I'll have you, as my friend, right?"

There would be risks with becoming friends with the boys of the music school, but that boat had long sailed since Kim Namjoon entered your life and you became less bothered by his presence. "Yes, I'll be here as your friend." you smiled. Somewhere behind the fence of the tennis court, someone was very unhappy with your interaction with one of his best friends. Namjoon dismissed the jealousy as mere annoyance over Hoseok's interference with the game. Thus, he ran towards you two, and pulled you away by your backpack. Hoseok could only stare.

"Let me go!" you yelled. It was disorienting to be pulled like this. With one forceful yank, you pulled away from his grip. "Why the hell did you do that?"

Namjoon huffed, crossing his arms to control his overflowing and immature anger. "I don't like you talking to other boys. I just want you to take care of me."

You blinked, "Yah, quit being selfish. I can take care of whoever I want to. Also, he is your friend, I thought doing it would make you happy."

His anger vanished, and a small smile threatened to creep over his face. "So you were thinking about me?"

"I-" You closed your mouth quickly, realizing what you had just told him. "No." you mumbled. He giggled, suddenly floating. "Whatever!" you yelled. "But he's your friends, you shouldn't have left like that. Go back and apologize, now."

"But-" You glared at him, making him shrink. "Okay, but under one condition."

"What?"

"Hold my hand."
Your mouth hung slightly opened at the obscured request. He held his hand out, waiting patiently like a puppy. Glancing around, there weren't many students in sight, which was the only reason why you took it. Namjoon didn't care what the reason was, he was just enjoying every second of this.

Hoseok was packing up his stuff when he saw the Namjoon's shoes out in the corner of his eye. He thought the world had ended when he saw your intertwined hands, his leader sure works fast. "Hey, I'm sorry for pulling her away like that," Namjoon muttered. "I didn't know you were hurt."

"I-it's okay," Hoseok replied, he has rarely ever heard Namjoon apologize for anything.

"See, that wasn't so hard, was it?" you teased. "Well, I have to get to class. I hope you feel better, Hoseok."

"Thank you, and thank you for the talk." he waved.

"Y/N, wait!" Namjoon called.

"Hmm?"

"Can I take you home today?"

"In your dreams," you winked before walking away. Namjoon shrugged, he had to shoot his shots one way or another.

"This game is playing out faster than I thought," Hoseok commented. "I think she's falling for you."

"I don't think so, she's tougher than you think." Namjoon corrected.

"But either way, you'll get the car soon," Hoseok was starting to feel unsure if this game was a good idea because you didn't deserve to be used like that. Namjoon had realized that some time ago, and he had stopped about stopping everything all together. But unfortunately, he had fallen, and he wishes to fly.