| 41 - Abscond |

"I heard it loud and clear... I can feel it... They're demons... And to top it all, they're part of the upper moons."

"And that man... Is Kibutsuji Muzan..."

"Oh my, what a cute girl~" The demon called Douma exclaimed as you felt his eyes stare at you in hunger. "But what are you doing, listening to others' conversations like that? That's rude."

"O-Oh, I'm sorry. The festival was so fun so I didn't realize the time! I should be going already or I'll miss the next train back home." You scratched your head as you tried to stutter your way through their rather keen eyes.

"There are four of them. The other two are staring at me, Muzan seems to be bothered by something, and this guy 's stare is annoying me to hell." You irked without breaking your innocent facade.

You felt a sudden tingle, and you glanced at the man with three pairs of eyes. "He's reading my state of mind. I have to force myself to be happy."

"A-Ano... Is there something else you need? I'm really sorry for intruding, and I hope you understand that I didn't mean to." You apologized in a convincing innocent facade.

"Oh my, an apology isn't enough dear." The one called Douma exclaimed. "Don't you have anything you can give as a peace offering?"

"I-I don't have much money on me..." You mumbled.

"Douma. Hurry it up will you?" The blue-skinned demon complained.

"Oh no, no. I wouldn't ask a cute girl for money. What I want is a hug!" He cajoled, ignoring his companions' obvious haste.

Despite his cheerful behavior, you knew he was planning something when you felt an ominous light pulsate from him as he opened his arms wide. 

"This guy... The way he talks... Don't tell me, he's the one who killed Shinobu's..."

-

'Promise me, Shinobu. If you don't need to sacrifice your life to kill him, please don't.'

-

Your world seemed to have slowed down a bit as you stared Douma in awe. "If I manage to get rid of him right now... Shinobu won't..."

"If that's what you wish for... I won't refuse." You said with a bright smile as you discreetly reached for your nichirin sword.

"Oh, so cute!" Douma exclaimed as he stepped towards you.

"That's right. If I can get rid of him..."

"Total Concentration, Breath of Light, First Form..."

"Then if you don't mind~"

"Lucent Strike."

Your blade was only an inch away from him before he was kicked aside rather violently, and you found your blade leaning against another. Your eyes looked up in shock and you discerned that your attack was parried by the demon with three pairs of eyes.

You instantly dropped your innocent facade, furrowing your eyebrows and frowning in resentment as you pushed away his sword and kicked him away, propelling yourself backwards in the process.

"Breath of the Moon, Third Form, Loathsome Moon - Chains." He swung his blade two times crescently with a calm visage, but it didn't seem to last long as he perceived you stepping your foot back to stand sideways, cleanly dodging the storm of crescent slashes that emitted from his previous two.

His eyebrows furrowed and he glared at you in alert. "I don't seem to remember any demon slayer that survived a fight with me, nor watch one. Why do you know about my attacks?"