The Article

2018

I knew I was being annoying

I knew I was being annoying. My black boot tapping the ground incessantly was making Julia behind the front desk glare at me every five seconds. I knew it was annoying and yet...I couldn't stop myself. Every time I realized the bouncing of my knee as my foot tapped the floor, I would lay my hand on my knee to stop it, sending an apologetic smile to Julia, just to hear the tapping yet again.

I checked the time again on my phone. 10:40am.

Fuck. My meeting with my editor was supposed to start 10 minutes ago. Julia shot me another look and I pressed both hands onto my knees to hopefully stop my nervous tick for good this time. Again, I smiled at her hoping to alleviate some of her annoyance with me but to no avail. She rolled her eyes behind her thick framed glasses and went back to typing away on her computer.

I was about to put my phone back into my back pocket when I felt it vibrate. With a sigh, I unlocked my phone to see two twitter notifications and a text from my boyfriend Zach.

Zach: Good luck babe! You're the best writer I know! Just breathe!

I smiled down at my phone and took a deep breath as instructed. Zach knew me so well. He knew I was panicking in this moment as I awaited my fate.

I had just submitted my 30th article as an intern at Rolling Stone magazine. I had been here, hardly paid, for the last two years after I had graduated from grad school. Today I was meeting with my editor to hopefully get the news that I was being promoted to a full time writer. I had been covering only up and coming artists in my almost two years at the magazine, which was fine by me. New artists were easy. They gave a lot of information, they wanted (for the most part) to leave a good impression, and they knew that anything you wrote about them would only boost their career. It was a thankless job, you never really knew if you were doing a good job or not but I figured, they hadn't fired me yet so...I must be doing a decent job at the very least.
This meeting was important. I was a month away from being broke and losing my apartment and I could not and would not rely on Zach to keep me afloat. I needed to get paid WAY more than what they were paying me now especially considering most of my money went to my college loans.

"Rue." I snapped my head up from my phone and looked up to see Julia staring at me.

"Yeah?"

"Sinclair will see you now." I gulped and felt my anxiety sky rocket. I wiped my now sweaty palms on my jeans as I stood up. Taking one last deep breath, I walked past the front desk and into Sinclair's office.

"Rue! Sorry for the delay. Cardi's agent wouldn't shut up about the cover for next month." He waved his hand for me to sit in the chair directly in front of his marble topped desk and I did as instructed.

"Not a problem! I'm just happy to have a meeting with you at all." I said positively and watched as he sat down into his very expensive chair, a smile on his face.