Wicked Games

July 3, 2018

The resounding noise of the crowd was bouncing off of the concrete walls of the Pepsi Center in Denver. Harry, shined brilliantly in his golden long sleeve dress shirt on stage as he closed out "Kiwi" and ran across the stage blowing kisses to his loyal fans. Sarah was still playing the drums in the background as he came to center stage with his hands high in the air. He looked back to Sarah and then faced forward, a wicked grin on his face. As Harry brought his arms down he sprayed water from his mouth and the lights went out. The crowd went wild. 

I was now sat in the dressing room, up against a wall, typing up some of my notes from this show. I made mention of the fact that his hair decided to have its own moment and distract him during one of his songs which made for good comedic relief. I was about to finish up when I noticed my phone buzzing. I shifted slightly so that I could reach it and touched the screen only to be confused and slightly annoyed. 

1 new message: Zach

I felt an anger that I didn't know I had bubbling up inside of me. Why was he reaching out to me now? Mr. If I Leave Now I'm Never Coming Back. It had been almost two weeks of radio silence from him and now he was messaging me? My first thought was maybe he was trying to figure out something with his stuff at my apartment. We had been living together after all...so I tried to drown the bitchy side of me out as I opened the message.

Zach: Can we talk?

I rolled my eyes. Of course, he probably hadn't even gotten his shit out of the apartment yet. He technically had 11 days until I was home so he was more than likely taking his sweet time.

Rue: About what.

I set my phone down beside me and tried to get back to work but my mind was very distracted. What could Zach possibly want right now? My phone buzzed again and I opened the message.

Zach: Us. Please?

I scoffed and threw my phone down beside me. So this was worst case scenario. He wanted to talk about us. Not getting his shit out of my apartment. Not last minute odds and ends. No...he wanted to talk about us. I felt my anxiety start to claw at my chest. I needed to just get this over with. I pushed my laptop off of my lap, grabbed my phone, and started pacing the length of the dressing room as I clicked on Zach's contact information. I pressed the phone up to my ear and nervously chewed my finger nail.

"Rue?"

"What do you want?" I spat out. I wanted to feel bad, I really did...but I was just so annoyed at him. Why was he doing this now? Where was this weeks ago?

"I...I wanted to talk about you and me."

"What about you and me? Last I checked that wasn't a thing anymore." I needed to calm down. I was showing emotions and I shouldn't have been. I took in a deep breath and exhaled trying to simmer myself down.

"Rue. You were right," my eyes went wide at not only Zach's revelation, but also at the dressing room door opening to Harry's beaming face, "I was so unsupportive, I was a complete asshole, and I can do better." Harry was walking over to me now with a concerned look on his face as I was clearly a nervous wreck. I just shook my head at him and walked over to the wall I had just been sitting against, pressing my forehead against it. 

"Um...Zach I really can't do this right now." I felt myself tense when I realized I'd said Zach's name out loud and the urge to just strangle myself with one of Harry's many belts hit me hard.

"No Rue you don't understand. I've been packing my shit up and I found one of the pictures from our first date and I can't go through with this. It doesn't seem right. We spent 3 years together babe. You can't tell me that's just all gone because of one little thing." There it was. There was the problem. My happiness and my dreams were just a little thing.