The Surprise

November 11, 2019

Warm beams of sunlight filtered into the room as I typed away on my laptop. The office still smelled brand new and the fine leather desk chair I was sat on was still not broken in. Rolling Stone had recently promoted me again and this time it came with a fancy and spacious office. I was lead writer for the magazine now. This meant I could travel more, meet more artists, and I was writing featured and cover stories now on more well established artists. I definitely miss the new artists...their fresh faces just hoping that my words will help give them a chance but I can't say I miss the pay.

I was doing well for myself, for once. No one needed to support me, I could do that on my own now, and I was doing what I loved. When Jack died, I had thought about quitting. I didn't think I could be a functioning member of society let alone continue writing. I don't think I wanted to let myself move on...not only from Jack but from Harry as well. I mean, I've obviously, over a year later, come to terms with the fact that what he and I had could have been special...key word being could...but it was a fleeting moment, gone forever. Besides...he hadn't checked in on me once in the past year. Sure, that one time the day after Jack's death it could have been him but...it could have just as easily been any number of people. Now though, I could accept what had happened between us but I still couldn't look at him, not on television, not in photographs, nothing. There was still a guilt there as well as anger.

And recently Harry had been everywhere.

From co-hosting the Met Gala, to his new music, to announcing he'd be hosting SNL and The Late Late Show...it was like I couldn't escape the guy...but escape I did.

I looked out of the big window in my office and out onto the buzzing city and wondered for a moment where Rachel was. She was supposed to meet me for lunch five minutes ago. I glanced down at my phone, checking for any messages and huffed out a sigh when I saw there weren't any from her. I was broken out of my contemplation though by a light tapping on my office door.

"Rue?"

I looked up to see Julia, the receptionist at my door and I wondered quickly why she was in my doorway. It wasn't exactly uncommon but I didn't have an appointment with Sinclair today, it was tomorrow.

"Yeah?" I asked, watching her nervous expression as she pushed her big framed glasses back up the bridge of her pointed nose.

"Sinclair wants to see you." She stated softly and with that she turned around and headed back to her desk. Interesting.

I saved my work on my laptop before closing it and grabbed my phone and purse quickly, just in case Rachel came when I was speaking with Sinclair. I shot Rachel a quick message and then headed over to Sinclair's office just down the hall.

The whole way over I couldn't help but wonder what was so urgent that he needed to speak to me today instead of tomorrow during our scheduled meeting time. As I approached, I lightly knocked on his door and waited for his voice to welcome me in.

"Rue! Come on in, take a seat." I entered the office and sat in the chair that was directly facing him in front of his big mahogany desk.

"How's the new office treating you?" Sinclair was avoiding something...he wasn't really one for small talk...it was always straight to the point with him.

"It's beautiful, thank you." I slowly said back, trying to let him know that I was onto him. He gave me a quick nervous glance before clasping his hands in front of himself and leaning forward onto his desk.

"Rue...I want to say, before I tell you what it is I've brought you in for, that this was not my idea and if I could I would tell them all to go to hell..."