New Years Eve

Dec 31, 2019

I took a big gulp of my wine as Rachel ran to the kitchen to stop the microwave from beeping. The smell of popcorn filled the air and even though I wasn't hungry...I was bordering on drunk and therefore a snack would be welcome. 

"Any New Years Resolutions Rue?" Rachel shouted from the kitchen and I rolled my eyes. I wasn't drunk enough for resolution talk.

"Yeah, how about swearing off men?" I heard a chuckle from behind me and saw my best friend snaking her way around the dining room table to the couch with a big bowl of popcorn. I reached my hands out like a toddler and kept opening and closing my fists in a "give me" motion and she happily plopped the bowl into my lap. I started taking popcorn by the fistful and stuffing my face. 

I don't know why but everything tastes so much better when you are drunk.

"I don't think you need to swear off men...how about just one in particular?" I ignored her and continued to stare at Ryan Seacrest on the television as he went through the crowds of people asking them silly questions and getting everyone excited for the next performers. 

"Did you ever read his letter?" Rachel took a sip of her wine, looking at me over the brim, and I scoffed at her making tiny pieces of popcorn fly from my mouth. 

"No. The fuck you think I am? An idiot?" I challenged and she barked out a sarcastic laugh.

"Yes, actually, I do," Rachel stood up and glared down at me as I took another big drink of my merlot, "in fact...I'm going to go get it now and read it for myself." She turned to head to my bedroom with a giant evil grin plastered on her face.

"You nosy bitch don't you DARE!" I shouted as I tried to reach for her but failed and almost tipped the bucket of popcorn onto the floor. I wanted to feel panicked but my drunkeness was taking the forefront of my emotions. I just started cackling an intoxicated laugh and shoveled more popcorn into my mouth. Rachel came back into my line of sight with that damned yellow letter.

"Don't read it out loud or I swear to God I'll stab you in the neck with a knife." I threatened before  shamelessly pouring more wine into my glass and Rachel just looked at me in disgust.

"Why do you even pour it when we both know you are just going to drink the whole thing? You might as well just drink it straight from the bottle at this point." She suggested and I just shrugged. She had a point but when I made to pour the wine in the glass back into the bottle she reached over and smacked me on the back of the head.

"NOT ON THE WHITE COUCH YOU DUMBASS!" I howled another laugh and sat the bottle and wine glass down on the coffee table and put my hands up in self defense. When Rachel was satisfied I wasn't a danger to the couch, she turned the envelope over and saw the sunflower drawn there, raising her eyebrows and looking at me like she was impressed.

"This is actually quite good. Who knew he had an affinity for drawing." She began opening the envelope, careful not to tear his stupid drawing. 

"Oh just read it and shut the fuck up about it. I don't want to hear anymore about him." I unceremoniously grabbed another handful of popcorn and threw it in my mouth, kernels flying everywhere as Rachel pulled the letter inside out to read. 

I was doing my drunken best not to pay attention to her as she read that fucking note. I could almost swear that I could smell him...like he was right in front of me as she unfolded the note and began reading it. My heart was picking up the pace but only slightly as the alcohol was keeping me from getting too excited...thank God. I snuck a glance at Rachel as she continued to read and I hated that I couldn't read her expression right now. I was way too intoxicated to even try to figure out the emotion or lack thereof on her face as she read his words. I turned my attention back to the television to see Lucy Hale and Ryan Seacrest talking to one another about Post Malone's performance and I wondered for only a second what Harry might be doing right now.